Monday, November 07, 2011

Jesus Demands Our Best!

Loving God of all people, shine brightly the light of Your love upon this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Matthew 25: 14 "It's also like a man going off on an extended trip. He called his servants together and delegated responsibilities. 15 To one he gave five thousand dollars, to another two thousand, to a third one thousand, depending on their abilities. Then he left. 16 Right off, the first servant went to work and doubled his master's investment. 17 The second did the same. 18 But the man with the single thousand dug a hole and carefully buried his master's money. 19 "After a long absence, the master of those three servants came back and settled up with them. 20 The one given five thousand dollars showed him how he had doubled his investment. 21 His master commended him: 'Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.' 22 "The servant with the two thousand showed how he also had doubled his master's investment. 23 His master commended him: 'Good work! You did your job well. From now on be my partner.' 24 "The servant given one thousand said, 'Master, I know you have high standards and hate careless ways, that you demand the best and make no allowances for error. 25 I was afraid I might disappoint you, so I found a good hiding place and secured your money. Here it is, safe and sound down to the last cent.' 26 "The master was furious. 'That's a terrible way to live! It's criminal to live cautiously like that! If you knew I was after the best, why did you do less than the least? 27 The least you could have done would have been to invest the sum with the bankers, where at least I would have gotten a little interest. 28 "'Take the thousand and give it to the one who risked the most. And get rid of this "play-it-safe" who won't go out on a limb. 29 30 Throw him out into utter darkness.' (The Message)

"In this economy?" It saddens my heart every time I hear that, especially in a church setting. People do silly and sad things when they fear the loss of money. Churches do worse things. Yet, here in a modern version is Jesus telling again the parable of the talents. And many have used the ancient word for a type of money to literally mean one's abilities and gifts. And that's appropriate, too. The main issue is, what have you done with what God has given you? And that questions includes abilities, talents, gifts, money, time, energy, love, et al. This version omits my favorite passage in verse 21, "'Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much; enter into the joy of your master.' 'Well done, good and faithful servant; you have been faithful over a little, I will set you over much; enter into the joy of your master.'" This modern version has Jesus making the faithful servants, "partners," which is not bad either. This version also has the weak servant saying, "I know you have high standards and hate careless ways, that you demand the best and make no allowances for error..." Jesus does have high standards for us; they're called ethical and loving ways to live. The "careless" way to live is to care less for the things of God and the people of God. Jesus does demand the best, which is He loves us and wants us, and wants to steer us away from sin ("error"). Is this such a terrible thing?

In God's economy, we count. We matter. God wants us. And God expects from us our best in our living, our giving, and our caring. Am I measuring up?

PRAYER: Loving God, may my mouth only share faith and hope. I pray that doubt and fear have no room in my mind or heart even in times like these. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde