Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Do As I Say, Not As I Do?

Philippians 3:17 Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us. 18 For many live as enemies of the cross of Christ; I have often told you of them, and now I tell you even with tears. 19 Their end is destruction; their god is the belly; and their glory is in their shame; their minds are set on earthly things. 20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ. 21 He will transform the body of our humiliation that it may be conformed to the body of his glory, by the power that also enables him to make all things subject to himself. 1 Therefore, my brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, my beloved. (NRSV)

"Do as I say, not as I do" was a quote I heard a couple of times during my rebellious days with my Dad. Dad did and still does great things. His quote was more out of frustration than actual truth. I know he heard it somewhere and in some cases, did apply to my situation. He usually said this when I did not particularly care to do something he had asked of me, and I wondered why he was not joining me. Paul, on the other hand, knows he is striving to be a positive role model to others and does invite imitation of his life, in which he was imitating Christ. He knew Whose he was, and how to live. He was a friend indebted to the cross of Christ, not an enemy, but he knew that many were still enemies of the cross of Christ. He knew that how they lived would be their downfall and they seemed to relish the thought of being shamed. I finally saw the movie "Flight" with Denzel Washington. I would caution those of you about to board a plane, not to see this movie. It is not a true story, but the Denzel character, "Whip" Whitaker, shows what Paul was talking about in choosing things for the "belly" and having things on "earthly things." Whip's obsession was alcohol and drugs, and he flew a plane under the influence. I won't spoil the movie, but if you want to see a good movie, this is one.

Paul was a citizen of Heaven. From Heaven came his savior and ours. We should know we are also citizens of Heaven and should live as such. If we set our mind and live our lives according to Heavenly things we won't have the problems we might be having. The Heavenly things are things of the Spirit, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness. The earthly things are not always the opposite but don't serve us as well as the things of Heaven. Who can truly live a life of indifference instead of love? Who seeks unhappiness or sourness, when one can have joy? Who likes living anxiously and worried about everything? Some do, thinking they must, but they're wrong; peace goes a long way farther than anxiety. Patience brings many a saved disagreement or fight and may get us safely to our destinations if we're driving. Impatience does not. Giving freely and lovingly blesses us. Stinginess does not. We may save some money, but we're losing out on a greater thing. And being faithful to God is where it's at. The opposite is doubt and all his cousins, despair, hopelessness, and some of the negative ones listed above. During this Lenten Journey, shouldn't our personal emphasis be on doing as Christ Jesus did, and seek a deeper and fuller connection with God? Shouldn't our thoughts be driven by our desire to know and to share with others that our citizenship is in Heaven not here?

PRAYER: Amazing God, let me connect with You today in ways that bring to me a life that will bless others. May I so live my life like Jesus, that others may want to imitate Him as well. Bring to me the peace of knowing that my citizenship is with You in Heaven and the things calling to me now are not as important nor can bless me as much as the things from You. Deepen my faith I pray, in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde