Monday, February 11, 2013

Our Hiding Place

Psalm 91:1 You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty, 2 will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust."9 Because you have made the Lord your refuge, the Most High your dwelling place,10 no evil shall befall you, no scourge come near your tent. 11 For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. 12 On their hands they will bear you up, so that you will not dash your foot against a stone. 13 You will tread on the lion and the adder, the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot. 14 Those who love me, I will deliver; I will protect those who know my name. 15 When they call to me, I will answer them; I will be with them in trouble, I will rescue them and honor them. 16 With long life I will satisfy them, and show them my salvation. (NRSV)

Mine was under my house in Kingsville. David probably had a cave or a secluded spot in his pasture where he knew to hide. A hiding place at any age is sometimes necessary. It may not be a real physical place, but a time or a sense of being alone and protected. It may have been those times David hid that the inspiration for this psalm came to him. David knew that because of God's awesomeness, he could say, "God, I do trust in You, it is like being inside a strong castle or the confines of my cave; nowhere do I feel safe." And then in what now is seen as a prophetic message foretelling that which Jesus would fulfill, David says that the one who has made the Lord his refuge and dwelling place will not have evil nor a scourge come near him. The angels will be commanded by God to care for him in all his ways. Their strength will hold him up; not even a bruise from a stone shall come to his feet; lions and serpents will not be a threat to him. David declares, "Those who love the Lord will be delivered by God; and God's protection shall be on all who know the name of the Lord." The psalmist knew that these prayers of those who love and hide in the Lord would be answered; God's presence would be with them in times of trouble, and rescue and honor would be theirs. A long life would be their satisfaction and God's salvation would be shown to them.

This passage is setting the tone for this coming Sunday's Gospel lesson. The images and promises of the psalmist would come to life in Jesus in the passage from Luke that we will read later this week. For now we hear the ancient word speaking about events to come that for us have already past but also with a message about our needing to have the same faith as Jesus. In God we do have a hiding place. In God we can trust. In God we can find unexplainable protection, and our prayers are answered in the Lord. We are never alone, God is with those who call upon Him; and those who trust in God will find the rescue that is needed whenever necessary.

PRAYER: Loving God, be my hiding place today. Let me find in You that which David found and later Jesus found and used. Speak to my weaknesses and doubts; let me know to call on You at all times, with hope and trust knowing my prayers will be answered according to Your will and that in You I have found satisfaction and salvation. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Thought for the Day

The battles of life are best fought knowing we can trust and hide in God.