Monday, February 18, 2013

Hope in the Lord!

Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? 2 When evildoers assail me to devour my flesh— my adversaries and foes— they shall stumble and fall. 3 Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war rise up against me, yet I will be confident. 4 One thing I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple. 5 For he will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock. 6 Now my head is lifted up above my enemies all around me, and I will offer in his tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing and make melody to the Lord. 7 Hear, O Lord, when I cry aloud, be gracious to me and answer me! 8 "Come," my heart says, "seek his face!" Your face, Lord, do I seek. 9 Do not hide your face from me. Do not turn your servant away in anger, you who have been my help. Do not cast me off, do not forsake me, O God of my salvation! 10 If my father and mother forsake me, the Lord will take me up. 11 Teach me your way, O Lord, and lead me on a level path because of my enemies. 12 Do not give me up to the will of my adversaries, for false witnesses have risen against me, and they are breathing out violence. 13 I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. 14 Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! (NRSV)

You may have thought what I've thought, "David had it made!" Of all the kings in Israel's history to his point, David was among the best. I attended a conference on leadership some years ago on the campus of one of our largest churches and I thought the same about that pastor. His church is so large, he must be free from criticism, sniping, anger... If I could just get my church that large, I'll be set too. Well, the pastor opened the conference almost with those words. "Some of you think I have it made..." and he went on to dispel that notion. He had probably ten times the number of critics as I, at least that, and many more who sought constantly for things for which to attack him. He even shared how they sat on the front rows of his church and scowled as he made his way to the pulpit. "My prayer is, 'Lord, give me a heart to love these people,' as I walk to the pulpit every Sunday to preach the Word of God." This psalm tells us that David suffered like us, but found in God the strength and hope that saw him through and can also see us through. In the darkness of almost daily suffering, surrounded by those, who like wild animals, would love to "devour my flesh," "they shall stumble and fall." (v.2).

For David, worship was essential and key to his life and how he lived. He sought the "beauty of the Lord," meaning the presence and truth in God, accepting even beams of light shining in to the temple as that very presence and beauty of the Living God, ready to hear him and bless him with strength and hope. David even sought to see the "face of the Lord," meaning his desire to worship involved the seeking the truth of God in the midst of trial and suffering; to be able to say, even in the midst of this that I did not expect or think I can win, here is God.

This psalm is a prayer and can be read as such. Our trials and tests may not be what David faced, but for us they sure seem big enough, but the blessing and reality is that God is bigger. No matter the trial or the challenge that has come into our life, God is bigger and in God we can find that which we need. Do we need time away from this challenge? Hide in God! Do we need the words and courage to stand up to it? Find both in God! Do we feel abandoned by everyone, even family? Find in God the parent we need that will never let us down. May the day come soon when we can join David in saying, "I believe that I have seen the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

Hope in the Lord, this psalm says; be strong and may our hearts find courage; hope in the Lord!

PRAYER: Loving God, in You I and this dear reader, place our hope. You know what we face and how we need You, so come, and be our hope, our strength, and our light. May I find in You the strength to say, "I believe I have seen the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." May it be so and may it bring a blessing of hope and joy that I can share with others. This I pray in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde