Friday, November 01, 2013

If The Verse Fits

Liam Carlos Vasquez enjoying a huge Jack-O-Lantern

The Greatness of God Fits My Smallness

From Psalm 119: 137 You are righteous, O Lord, and your judgments are right. 138 You have appointed your decrees in righteousness and in all faithfulness. 139 My zeal consumes me because my foes forget your words. 140 Your promise is well tried, and your servant loves it. 141 I am small and despised, yet I do not forget your precepts. 142 Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and your law is the truth. 143 Trouble and anguish have come upon me, but your commandments are my delight. 144 Your decrees are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live.

The awesomeness of the Lectionary is the way that sometimes verses fit all together. They're meant to all the time, I won't argue that, but sometimes you have to maneuver this way and that to cover all the bases intended by the Lex. Today's passage fits in well with the story from the Gospel. God's greatness overcame the small stature of Zacchaeus and "delight" came to Zach's life. Zacchaeus with his meeting of Jesus Christ came to the fullness of life that Jesus promised in John 10:10. And the same is still available today. When we recognize the greatness of God and the awesomeness of the way God's Word speaks to us in our present condition, we can choose to surrender to God and let God mend our ways or we can continue the same path without a clue. In spite of the life Zach tried to live with people hating him, he still knew the greatness of God; and when he met God's Son, he surrendered completely to Him.

Our troubles won't mysteriously disappear with our surrendering to God, but our attitude and gratitude will be different. Look at verse 143: "Trouble and anguish have come upon me, but your commandments are my delight." Can you say that right now about what has kept you up at night? If you say, "God, I don't know what to do, I surrender it all to You," you might sleep comfortably tonight knowing that something good will come of what you think is completely bad right now. The desire of God is that we might live, made more so by the promise of His Son when He said, "I have come that they may have life and that to the fullest."

It's your choice. Why not choose to live?

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for loving me right now, right here. You know what I need and so I surrender myself, my worries and cares into Your loving hands. Break the chains of whatever has kept me from loving You as I should and bring to me the fullness of life. This I pray through Him who made that promise to me, Jesus, my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde