Wednesday, December 17, 2014

From Pasture to Palace. Never Forget God!

Journey a Thankful Path with the One Who Guides You Always

From 2 Samuel 7: 1-11, 16: Now when the king was settled in his house, and the Lord had given him rest from all his enemies around him, the king said to the prophet Nathan, "See now, I am living in a house of cedar, but the ark of God stays in a tent." Nathan said to the king, "Go, do all that you have in mind; for the Lord is with you." But that same night the word of the Lord came to Nathan: Go and tell my servant David: Thus says the Lord: Are you the one to build me a house to live in? I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent and a tabernacle. Wherever I have moved about among all the people of Israel, did I ever speak a word with any of the tribal leaders of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people Israel, saying, "Why have you not built me a house of cedar?" Now therefore thus you shall say to my servant David: Thus says the Lord of hosts: I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep to be prince over my people Israel; and I have been with you wherever you went, and have cut off all your enemies from before you; and I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, so that they may live in their own place, and be disturbed no more; and evildoers shall afflict them no more, as formerly, from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel; and I will give you rest from all your enemies. Moreover the Lord declares to you that the Lord will make you a house. Your house and your kingdom shall be made sure forever before me; your throne shall be established forever.

Those children who grow up in Sunday school or in the church usually know the answer to Where is God? Most will say, "God is everywhere!" And indeed God is everywhere. In the Old Testament history, God never wanted a house, to limit the answer to that question, as in, Where is God? "God is over there in that house/building." God never wanted a throne either, the closest God allowed was the ark of the covenant, built like a throne, but with the knowledge that God doesn't sit much. That changed in this setting, where David is settled in his palace and the thought came to him that God was still in a tent. David's intention was to build God a proper house, a temple where God could be worshipped and whose presence through worship could be felt and experienced. God's word came back through the prophet Nathan, who asked David the question God asked, "Are you the one to build me a house to live in?" Nathan was reminded by God that He had not had a house in the entire time the people of Israel had known Him. In fact, God turned around the desire of David to bless God into God's desire to bless David. God did so by reminding David where he was when God first called him, and the journey David had taken, thanks to God, from the pasture to the palace. And God declares that the house that would be established is David's house, meaning his descendants would be taken care of by God.

What's your journey been with the Lord God? Have you started out in a pasture, and all that image brings to mind? Alone, in a field with animals and their waste products, though perhaps not literally, but you may have been there spiritually, when God first called you out? Have you battled more than your share of giants? Have you engaged in many battles, and been victorious because of God? And do you find yourself now "settled in a house" like King David? Seek to bless the Lord and many times you will be the one blessed. Seek to build a house of God, and God will establish your house. You can't outgive God!

PRAYER: Awesome God, thank You for the journey You have traveled with me. As I am reminded of the places and people we have seen and met, no one has come close to blessing me like You. Guide me farther, and more faithfully, to where You would have me be. This I pray in the precious and powerful name of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Update: Rev. Harold Onwiler's surgery went well, and he is resting in Austin and should be home when the doctors say he is ready. Pray that he listen to the doctors.