Monday, December 08, 2014

I'll Tell You Who I'm Not

Image from stickyjesus.com

Intro to John the Baptist, Witness to Light

From John 1:6-8; 19-28: There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify to the light, so that all might believe through him. He himself was not the light, but he came to testify to the light. This is the testimony given by John when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?" He confessed and did not deny it, but confessed, "I am not the Messiah." And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the prophet?" He answered, "No." Then they said to him, "Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?" He said, "I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, "Make straight the way of the Lord,' " as the prophet Isaiah said. Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. They asked him, "Why then are you baptizing if you are neither the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?" John answered them, "I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know, the one who is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandal." This took place in Bethany across the Jordan where John was baptizing.

John's Gospel starts on the spiritual level for which it is known; no birth of Jesus story, straight to the facts as he sees them. He does know that the prophet Isaiah did speak a word of one who would come to prepare the way for the Messiah. He also knows that as he reflected back on John's ministry and words, that John the Baptist was a "witness to the light, so that all might believe through him." John, the writer, says that John the Baptist "was not the light," but came to testify to it. John records the interview between the priest and Levites, and John the Baptist, about who he truly was. Question one: Are you the Messiah? John: "I am not the Messiah." Question two: What then? Are you Elijah? "I am not." Question three: Are you the prophet? Question four, and notice their anger getting a bit riled up: Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself? John: "I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, 'Make straight the way of the Lord,' as the prophet Isaiah said. Those sent by the Pharisees then asked, "Why then are you baptizing if you are neither the Messiah, nor Elijah, nor the prophet?" John: "I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know, the one who is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandal."

At some point in his life, John came to realize who he was. It took him to the place where he realized what he was not, but was humbled to know the One who was coming behind him. Tradition tells us that John the Baptist and Jesus were related; some say as cousins. In their relationship there may have come that vision or voice that told John all that he was to share on behalf of the Messiah. Also, in that relationship came the realization that this Messiah was an awesome person, and John knew that in the face of this Christ, he was not worthy to even untie his sandals. It was not about position or power for John the B; it was about faithfulness and service. His job was to lift up the Christ, not himself. His job was to give witness about the Christ, not himself. His job was to proclaim an unpopular message that riled up the religious authorities, putting himself at personal risk and danger. And yet, he still was faithful.

Our job as believers is to say, "Let me tell you who I'm all about - Jesus!" Following the model of John the Baptist, we lift up Christ and His love and purpose, while downplaying who we are; we are servants of the Most High, and there is no better place in which to find ourselves. We have lots of work still to do...

Get busy!

PRAYER: Loving God, help me to humble myself in Your presence so that I may lift high the Name and person of Jesus. Help me to be a witness to all the good You have done in my life, so that others may come to life in You. This is my prayer, in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde