Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Enough? Not Enough!

Image from www.bulimbaunitingchurch.org

2 Corinthians 8:7-15 Now as you excel in everything—in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in utmost eagerness, and in our love for you —so we want you to excel also in this generous undertaking. I do not say this as a command, but I am testing the genuineness of your love against the earnestness of others. For you know the generous act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich. And in this matter I am giving my advice: it is appropriate for you who began last year not only to do something but even to desire to do something— now finish doing it, so that your eagerness may be matched by completing it according to your means. For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has—not according to what one does not have. I do not mean that there should be relief for others and pressure on you, but it is a question of a fair balance between your present abundance and their need, so that their abundance may be for your need, in order that there may be a fair balance. As it is written, "The one who had much did not have too much, and the one who had little did not have too little."

Good Morning

My first formal Bible class for university credit came through the loving care of The Rev. Virgil Matthews, Dean of Lon Morris College in Jacksonville, Texas. His job, beside being Dean of Students, was also to head the ministerial department in a small United Methodist junior college that drew heavily from Houston and the Texas Conference. He shared the wonders of the Old Testament and the challenges of the New Testament, or do I have that backwards? But we quickly learned that after he presented a passage or lecture he would pause and look at all of us and ask, "Enough? Not enough?" The last part was usually a question but sometimes the blank stare of our faces made him declare, "Not enough!" And he would proceed to try to make even clearer that explanation to us.

Have you asked yourself lately, if what you do for the Lord Jesus Christ is enough? Lord have mercy on those who have and who have declared, "Yes, I've done enough." Paul is writing to early believers and issuing a challenge to do more. And not only more, but to excel in all they did for Jesus. Paul knows that to follow Christ is to commit to doing our best in faith, in how and what we share in our speech with others, to learn as much as we can about our faith, to be extremely eager to know Him and to share Him in love, and to love. Are you excellent in love toward Jesus and to others?

Paul compares what we offer to what Christ Himself offered. Notice the key verse from this passage that you probably already know (or should know!), "Our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for (our) He became poor, so that by His poverty you might become rich." We're not talking pocketbook rich; we're talking spiritual pocketbook rich. What we do, all we do, should be done with eagerness; much the same way we tackle ice cream or doughnuts! The verse explains that: "For if the eagerness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has -- not according to what one does not have." I remember the eagerness I had to get my driver's license! I made my poor mother, recovering from surgery who should have been in bed resting and recovering, to drive me to the DPS office to take my test so that I could get my license. I repented of that terrible act, but such was my eagerness. And then once I had my license, our home could not have enough bread or milk! "Mom, do you need me to go to the store? I'll go to the store!" And she'd find an excuse for me to drive the family car to the nearby grocery store. Soon, that eagerness went away. "Son, can you go to the store?" I would reply, with no eagerness, "Do I have to?" Sadly, in some of our cases, when we first learned of God's great love for us through Jesus Christ, we were eager to learn and do more. And the day came when the eagerness faded and we were content to stay right where we were. As the old joke goes, we went from singing Standing on the Promises to Sitting on the Premises.

Have you done enough for Jesus Christ? Is your eagerness to serve still there? Are you growing in faith in what God can and does do for you? Are you sharing witness to the things God has done for you through the years? Are you still in love with God? God's still in love with you!

PRAYER: Loving God, we thank You for all You have done. I ask forgiveness for those days when my eagerness is not what it should be; rekindle my eagerness for You and for the things I have promised to do. Help me to grow in love and to truly say each day, "I've not yet done enough." This I pray in the powerful and precious name of Jesus Christ my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde