Thursday, June 25, 2015

Morning by Morning

Image from esermons.com

Lamentations 3:23-33 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "therefore I will hope in him." The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul that seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for one to bear the yoke in youth, to sit alone in silence when the Lord has imposed it, to put one's mouth to the dust (there may yet be hope), to give one's cheek to the smiter, and be filled with insults. For the Lord will not reject forever. Although he causes grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not willingly afflict or grieve anyone.

Good day dear friend,

Throughout my life there have been certain things that I have counted on every morning. As a high school student, it was the smell of fresh coffee that my mother had made. As a college student, it was the smell of freshly made eggs. As a newlywed, it was breakfast made and ready for me as I awoke. Morning by morning; that means day by day, a daily hope the psalmist had as he wrote this in this book with the sad title, Lamentations. His is a great faith, as should be ours, in a God who loves us enough to provide each morning, His mercy. Have you ever heard that wonderful hymn, Great is Thy Faithfulness? Written by Thomas O. Chisholm in 1923 and based on this passage, the refrain says, "Great is Thy faithfulness! "Great is Thy faithfulness! Morning by morning, new mercies I see, all I have needed Thy hand has provided; great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!" Later in the third stanza this wonderful line: "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow; blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!" It's an awesome hymn and one of my favorites. The hymn, like this passage, is about our needing to trust God to be there. Every. Single. Day.

Is the Lord "your portion?" If He is, then you have the hope you need for this day. Our faith says to wait upon the Lord, for He always provides.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for the daily dose of hope You share with us; let me receive it with joy enough to share, for many are those who do not yet know. In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde