Tuesday, June 02, 2015

This Slight Momentary Affliction

2 Corinthians 4:13-5:1 But just as we have the same spirit of faith that is in accordance with scripture—"I believed, and so I spoke"—we also believe, and so we speak, because we know that the one who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus, and will bring us with you into his presence. Yes, everything is for your sake, so that grace, as it extends to more and more people, may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God. So we do not lose heart. Even though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure, because we look not at what can be seen but at what cannot be seen; for what can be seen is temporary, but what cannot be seen is eternal. For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

I've shared it here before, and I share it again: I hate needles of all kinds, especially those on the ends of shots. I don't scream or cry, on the outside, but I usually have to convince myself in those seconds between my doctor saying, "You need an injection" to the time the nurse comes in with her weapon, to convince myself of the important why behind my getting a shot. I tell myself of the numerous horrible consequences that will come my way if I can't endure a second of what turns out to be no pain. In the same way, Paul writes about faith and that faith that helps us with what we are facing in our lives. Because we believe, Paul explains, we are connected to the Source of power; the Power that raised Jesus from the dead will also raise us from the earthly challenges, even death, to one day take us to the presence of the Lord Himself. How can we lose heart, Paul asks? Indeed, how can we, if we have faith that says, as Paul shared in another letter, "I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me." Paul labels our challenges and obstacles as "this slight momentary affliction" that is preparing us for "an eternal weight of glory beyond all measure." We don't yet see fully all that awaits nor can we begin to understand it, but Paul says that we will one day see the eternal. And as we face the last challenge of this life, Paul writes, "For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." Not bad coming from a professional tentmaker.

What, dear friend, are you facing? If you're human and honest, you know the great challenges before so many and possibly even us; but we take heart, we take strength, and we take hope as that which will see us through, because our hope is in the Living Lord, the Source of all things.

PRAYER: Come, living Source to my life and my needs. Grant me strength, hope and peace. And let me share that with those in need. I pray these things in Christ Jesus my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde