Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ah, The Good Life!

Image from angusday.org

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.     He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters;     he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths    for his name’s sake. 

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,    I fear no evil; for you are with me;    your rod and your staff—    they comfort me. 

You prepare a table before me    in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil;    my cup overflows.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me    all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord    my whole life long. - 23rd Psalm

I entered the good life at around nine years of age.  It was at that age that Jesus became my shepherd.  It was at that age I got my first paying job; and I became a tither.  And around that age that I was confirmed into the Methodist Church on this very day (it was a Sunday back then!).  I can think of no better life that I could want.  I am the richest man when it comes to blessings from the Lord; His love and care for me.  I have never wanted for anything; many have been the green pastures in which I have laid down in.  Cool has been the water I have drank.  And many have been the times the Lord has restored my soul.  He's been my G.P.S.; my Good Providing Shepherd, and has led me on the right path and what an adventure that has been.  I wish I could say that I've stayed on that path; I sometimes resemble that verse that says, "And we, like sheep, have gone astray..." but He's led me back and more importantly welcomed me back.  Yes, I've been scared and many have been the tears I have shed; but I've never feared, especially evil, for the power and might of the Lord have protected me, and yes, I've been comforted.

I've attended the finest banquets possible, sometimes even with people that didn't care for me, and some may have been my enemies; but that was okay because as far as the Lord was concerned I was the guest of honor; and so were they - for Jesus died for sinners.  To receive bread and wine in Jesus' name and presence, and power; I'm full!  And while the journey has been a great one and no one know how much more we have, we hold on to the hand of He who leads us, and you know what?  The best is yet to come!  I have reservations at the Shepherd's house.

PRAYER:  Lord, bless those who have read it; may those who know You celebrate You, and may those who seek You come to know You as Lord and Shepherd.  I pray in Thy name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

P.S.  The year was 1963 - 53 years ago.  I still have the Bible given to me on that day, and I still have the certificate of my church membership!  To God be the glory!