Thursday, April 07, 2016

Second Chances.  Don't Blow It!

Image from theodysseyonline.com

I give you all the credit, God - you got me out of that mess, you didn't let my foes gloat. God, my God, I yelled for help and you put me together. God, you pulled me out of the grave, gave me another chance at life when I was down-and-out. All you saints! Sing your hearts out to God! Thank him to his face! He gets angry once in a while, but across a lifetime there is only love. The nights of crying your eyes out give way to days of laughter. When things were going great I crowed, "I've got it made. I'm God's favorite. He made me king of the mountain." Then you looked the other way and I fell to pieces. I called out to you, God; I laid my case before you: "Can you sell me for a profit when I'm dead? auction me off at a cemetery yard sale? When I'm 'dust to dust' my songs and stories of you won't sell.So listen! and be kind! Help me out of this!" You did it: you changed wild lament into whirling dance; You ripped off my black mourning band and decked me with wildflowers. I'm about to burst with song; I can't keep quiet about you. God, my God, I can't thank you enough. (Psalm 30 The Message Version)

Instead of a ticket, you're given a warning.  Instead of jury duty, you're sent home.  Instead of an F, you were given a D.  Instead of staying after school, you were sent home.  Instead of detention, you were given recess.  Instead of an angry response, you were hugged.  We all love second chances.  Instead of death because of our sin, we are led into life, and that to the fullest by Jesus Christ.  This is the best second chance we could ever be given.  And what's even better, it is a daily thing, for daily we sin, and if we ask for forgiveness it is granted.  King David knew all about second chances.  Instead of losing his life or those of his sheep, he defeated his enemies, including a huge one by the name of Goliath.  And being a poetic, thankful soul, he never forgot the mercies of God and shares some of them in this psalm.  It applies to us and our lives.  It speaks to where we have been, where we are now. And can we keep quiet about it?  Some try, but the best answer is no.  We should tell others how awesome God is, has been, and will be.

Tell someone!

PRAYER:  Loving God, thank You for second chances in my life. Thank You for forgiving my sin and giving me a new lease on life.  I pray this in the name of He who died for me, Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde