Thursday, August 18, 2016

In God's Guest Room

Image from news.doubletree.com

I run for dear life to God, I'll never live to regret it. Do what you do so well: get me out of this mess and up on my feet. Put your ear to the ground and listen, give me space for salvation. Be a guest room where I can retreat; you said your door was always open! You're my salvation - my vast, granite fortress.  My God, free me from the grip of Wicked, from the clutch of Bad and Bully. You keep me going when times are tough - my bedrock, God, since my childhood. I've hung on you from the day of my birth, the day you took me from the cradle; I'll never run out of praise. (Psalm 71:1-6 The Message)

As a youth growing up in the Río Grande Conference, our retreats were usually held in big cities, not camps, and our accommodations were in people's homes not cabins.  That made for interesting character development.  And as a youth officer I sometimes went alone to different meetings where again, I would end up in someone's guest room.  And though the rooms never looked like the picture above, it was better.  I felt at home.  I felt safe.  I felt welcomed and loved.  There are people who were the adults in those homes who welcomed me as a son and made true the Lord's word on leaving home for His work and finding mothers and fathers wherever we would go.  Mrs. Gladys Sonnen was one of my moms when I stayed there with my dear friend, David.  Mr. Andrew Hernandez was my dad when I stayed there with my dears friends Andy and Bobby.  Recently, we always had a special room with Bill and Jody Henderson where we were welcomed and loved.  That is why I chose the Message Bible's version of today's psalm.  It always speaks honestly and in a tone that is very today.  There have been times I have run for dear life right to God, and I have yet to regret finding a hiding place in God.  And yes, God has gotten me out of many messes, and yes, God has given me salvation.  And yes, God has a guest room where I enjoy the things a guest room provides like I mentioned above:  a home away from home, security, safety, and love.  God's door is always open, for God is my salvation.  In God I do find escape from the grips of Wickedness and Bad and Bully; God keeps me going even when the going is rough.  May I never run out of praise!

PRAYER:  Yes, Loving God, You are my hiding place, my refuse, my rock and my secure place.  Thank You for the guest room I find through prayer, silence, reflection and the reading of Your Holy Word.  May it be a place others find when needed; for You are my Salvation.  In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde