Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Never Satisfied?

Image from shopprivateparty.com

Hear the word of the Lord, O house of Jacob, and all the families of the house of Israel. 5Thus says the Lord: What wrong did your ancestors find in me that they went far from me, and went after worthless things, and became worthless themselves? 6 They did not say, ‘Where is the Lord who brought us up from the land of Egypt, who led us in the wilderness, in a land of deserts and pits, in a land of drought and deep darkness, in a land that no one passes through, where no one lives?’ 7 I brought you into a plentiful land to eat its fruits and its good things. But when you entered you defiled my land, and made my heritage an abomination. 8 The priests did not say, ‘Where is the Lord?’ Those who handle the law did not know me; the rulers* transgressed against me; the prophets prophesied by Baal, and went after things that do not profit. 9Therefore once more I accuse you, says the Lord, and I accuse your children’s children. 10 Cross to the coasts of Cyprus and look, send to Kedar and examine with care; see if there has ever been such a thing. 11 Has a nation changed its gods, even though they are no gods? But my people have changed their glory for something that does not profit. 12 Be appalled, O heavens, at this, be shocked, be utterly desolate, says the Lord, 1for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living water, and dug out cisterns for themselves, cracked cisterns that can hold no water. (Jeremiah 2:4-13)

Some people are just like that I guess. Or should I say some of us are like that? God has done wonderful and incredible things, but we're never happy nor satisfied. We woke up this morning and yet we gripe, "I don't want to get up!" Or, we complain, "I don't want to go to work!" Don't you remember a time when you were so sick you couldn't get out of bed? Or, don't you remember the excitement when you were offered your current job? You're being Old Testament, people! This passage is a prime example of God's reaction to the people whom God led out of slavery into freedom; yet they complained, yet they kept looking back, wanting to go back and keep doing the same though slaves. They forsook the Lord, and took to doing things for themselves they couldn't quite do. And we sometimes do the same.

Zig Ziglar, the late motivational speaker used to offer what he called, The checkup from the neck up. Think about it; it's about attitude and gratitude. If we would but pause from time to time, to take stock of what God has truly done for us and the countless blessings we have because of Him, we would have a better attitude; we might even have gratitude. Then, life would truly be seen with God's eyes and not ours. The big picture would blot out the imperfections and small nuisances that make us think that all is lost. It isn't.

PRAYER: Awesome God, You have done so much for me that I just want to thank You. Forgive me the times I want my way and not Yours. Help me truly have an attitude of gratitude in and towards all things. The truth is that You truly aren't through with me, and the best is yet to come. This I pray in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Smile more!

Eradio Valverde