Monday, January 30, 2017

Let Me Tell You Why You Are Here

Image from agnusday.org

‘You are the salt of the earth; but if salt has lost its taste, how can its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything, but is thrown out and trampled under foot. ‘You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden. No one after lighting a lamp puts it under the bushel basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven. ‘Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfil. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth pass away, not one letter, not one stroke of a letter, will pass from the law until all is accomplished. Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:13-20)

"Let me tell you why you are here.  You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth.  If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness?  You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage."  I love The Message version's take on the first verse of today's passage.  Jesus has declared that those who hear and receive His word and live according to the new way He is sharing in this Sermon on the Mount are like the "salt of the earth."  We know that salt is key to anything you want to make. I consider myself a pretty good cook, but one day while trying to care for my sick wife, I wanted to impress her with one of her favorite dishes.  I got everything ready, mixed and stirred in the comino, cilantro, ajo/garlic, bell pepper, everything except the salt.  When I tasted the progress of the meal I was disappointed.  I tried adding it in at that point but it was too late.  Salt is key as we are key, as this version says to bring out the God-flavors of this earth.  Salt is also used as a preservative.  Remember salted bacon and other meats?  Those were salted to keep them from spoiling.  Salt was also used in Jesus' day as an insulation to line the bottom of their ovens; salt would heat up evenly and make the oven perfect for baking bread.  We can apply any of those uses to the way we live life.  We can add positive flavor to situations or to persons we know.  We can preserve the goodness of things that society has now made bad; or we can help insulate those who are hurting by bringing God's words of comfort and peace.

Jesus also said we are light.  Just yesterday someone directed me to a post on FaceBook that someone posted.  The person said it was a hateful message from someone who should know better.  I thought about it and as Nellie and I drove to church we talked about it and I simply said that person has momentarily stopped being one who brings light; that which was shared was darkness.  We should share light, which means bringing the Christ-colors to life in our lives, a hopeful and joyful outlook on life - not get drawn in to the hatred and ignorance running rampant in our world today.  All that we say, think, and do should "give glory to your Father in heaven."  Think about what that does to those who have momentarily stepped away into darkness.

Live a life that brings good flavor and needs light into the world!

PRAYER:  Father, let all that I do today bring honor and glory to You.  Help me be that which does bring out the God-flavors of this world, and the God-colors in the world as I live my life obedient to You.  I pray in He who shared that Sermon on the Mount, Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Here is your link to see this devotional on YouTube.  Please feel free to share this with those who might be blessed by it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecWIqfRuxY