Friday, January 06, 2017

Taken By the Hand into Light

Image from unleashing.com

Here is my servant, whom I uphold,my chosen, in whom my soul delights;I have put my spirit upon him;he will bring forth justice to the nations.He will not cry or lift up his voice,or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break,and a dimly burning wick he will not quench;he will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not grow faint or be crushed until he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his teaching. Thus says God,the Lord,who created the heavens and stretched them out,who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people upon it and spirit to those who walk in it: I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you;I have given you as a covenant to the people,a light to the nations,to open the eyes that are blind,to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon,from the prison those who sit in darkness. I am the Lord, that is my name; my glory I give to no other,nor my praise to idols. See, the former things have come to pass,and new things I now declare;before they spring forth, I tell you of them. (Isaiah 42:1-9)

I remember nothing more soothing and reassuring to me as a child than holding the hand of my father or mother. It was usually when I had become afraid or as we were walking a neighborhood dog decided to come and bark at us or chase us, that strong hand made me feel safe, loved, and important. I guess that's why the verse in today's passage about God saying, "I have taken you by the hand and kept you" spoke to my heart. And it comes in this description by the prophet of the coming Messiah who would finally bring into history the fulfillment of all things expected, namely justice for all people which is to say making all things right for those who love God. The prophet is saying that God will provide breath and His spirit to His people to live and serve in a way that gives glory to God, for we have been called into righteousness. That is to say once we believe in God we should turn over lives to God to live in a worthy manner, a living example of covenant to those not yet in the covenant and a light to the nations. And the phrase before that? "I have taken you by the hand." That says to me we are not alone. We do not walk alone. And we should feel safe enough to risk that which will bring this living covenant to life in us in a way that gives witness to others.. God wants light to shine in the areas of life where there is still darkness, and release to those still captive by their sins. God wants the former things to pass away and the new way of life to come into the fullness of life.

And dear friends, there is no more fitting time to reflect on these things than the start of a new year. What are the areas of darkness in our lives? Where are the areas of darkness from which we have been led out that we should share with those still in darkness? Nothing speaks louder to someone in need than for someone who has been there to share with them, this is where I was, and here I am now, thanks to God.

Won't you give God your hand and let Him guide you?

PRAYER: Loving Father, I give You my hand. Take it and guide me into the fullness of Your light. Help me to feel loved, safe, and secure to live as You would have me live; a life that blesses You and blesses those not quite there yet. Help me to be a blessing to those around me, especially the little ones that may look up to me. This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

LISTEN TO TODAY'S CONCAFE (COPY AND PASTE IN A NEW WINDOW) https://gallery.mailchimp.com/ddb0d8e9e8610bb92960afa4d/files/ConCafe162107.mp3