Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Walk Humbly with Your God

Image from angusday.org

Hear what the Lord says: Rise, plead your case before the mountains,and let the hills hear your voice.  Hear, you mountains, the controversy of the Lord, and you enduring foundations of the earth; for the Lord has controversy with his people, and he will contend with Israel. ‘O my people, what have I done to you? In what have I wearied you? Answer me! For I brought you up from the land of Egypt,and redeemed you from the house of slavery; and I sent before you Moses, Aaron, and Miriam. O my people, remember now what King Balak of Moab devised, what Balaam son of Beor answered him, and what happened from Shittim to Gilgal, that you may know the saving acts of the Lord.’ ‘With what shall I come before the Lord, and bow myself before God on high? Shall I come before him with burnt-offerings, with calves a year old? Will the Lord be pleased with thousands of rams, with tens of thousands of rivers of oil? Shall I give my firstborn for my transgression, the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?’ He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:1-8)

If you're looking for an excuse not to worship God, you will find one easily.  You'll see that a recital is taking place on a Sunday morning, or a soccer game for your neighbor's children.  Some may even say I stay away from God because I don't know what He wants!  I think God is demanding too much from me, so I just stay away and that way I can't be bothered.  The last part of today's passage lays it out, and a modern translation makes it even easier to hear what it is that God wants:  But he's already made it plain how to live, what to do, what God is looking for in men and women. It's quite simple: Do what is fair and just to your neighbor, be compassionate and loyal in your love, And don't take yourself too seriously - take God seriously.(Micah 6:8 The Message translation).  Yes, that might be demanding for some; being fair people, who seek justice with their neighbor.  We're asked to be compassionate and loyal in our love.  And here's a hard one for some:  Don't take yourself too seriously, but do take God seriously.  And of course, the title for this devotion:  Walk humbly with your God.  God is yours!  Take God by the hand and walk with Him, trusting Him and looking to Him for answers and strength when we seem overwhelmed by the things of life.  God is faithful and asks us to be.

We can worship God anywhere; I won't argue that.  But facing life and all its challenges is found doing it in community, with people who love and pray for you, and who are there to hold you and sustain you when you find yourself feeling down.  If that doesn't describe your place of worship, prayerfully talk to the pastor and share that with her or him.  If that does not work, prayerfully consider another church.  Be with people who love and walk with their God.

PRAYER: Loving God, I seek no excuse to not be with You.  I do want to do all that You ask of me.  I want to be a person that fits the description above; to be a loving and fair person with all people whether they live in my neighborhood or not.  I want to be a compassionate person, looking out for the needs of those around me.  I want to take Your hand, for You are my God, and walk humbly beside you this and all days.  I pray this prayer in Christ Jesus my Lord, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde

Here is the link to see the YouTube video of this devotional.  Again I ask if this blesses you, please share with those who might also be blessed.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k13MqqWVIvE