Thursday, July 13, 2017

Don't Get Thrown Off-Track!

Image from magnifythelord.wordpress.com

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe your righteous ordinances. I am severely afflicted;give me life, O Lord, according to your word. Accept my offerings of praise, O Lord,and teach me your ordinances. I hold my life in my hand continually,but I do not forget your law. The wicked have laid a snare for me,but I do not stray from your precepts. Your decrees are my heritage for ever;they are the joy of my heart. I incline my heart to perform your statutes for ever, to the end. (Psalm 119:105-112)

Remember the days before GPSs?  In my case it seemed I never got lost because I relied more on my sense of direction, maps, directions given to me by those awaiting me.  Now, I punch in an address and let Waze, a free app, guide me.  Waze allows us to warn others about road construction, road hazards, and yes, even where we see police in speed traps.  The choice of guide voices makes it fun; usually a movie being promoted will be available to guide us if we so choose.  But after years of relying on this, if I don't have my phone, and I get distracted in conversation, I end up lost; or as I used to say to our girls, exploring new areas.  Life is that way, too.  Life is challenging enough and we need a good guide, a G.P.S., a God Provisional System, which is God's word, prayer, worship, and any of the spiritual disciplines.  This psalm affirms that.  The first verse is enough for a devotional and a reminder that in reading the Bible we find that map and light that we need for our daily lives.  David loved the word so much he had sworn an oath to reading it and doing what it said; when he was afflicted, he found life.  Whenever he was happy and blessed, he offered praise.  Whenever the temptations that came his way were too much, he sought the Lord; and at this writing, he had inclined his heart to do what God wanted for his life.

I love the graphic for today.  Rays of light coming forth from the pages of the Bible; a true picture of what can happen when we open the pages of God's word for our lives and needs.  There is no need to walk in darkness when the brightest Light the world has ever know is right there in the pages of God's book.  If you want to get or stay lost, keep the book closed; if you want to live the life God has for you, open the book, let it read you and guide you.

PRAYER:  Awesome God of Light and Love, speak to our hearts now and when we feel lost.  Guide us back to the pages of Your love letter; help us find the way and not get lost.  This we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde