Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Who Will Rescue Us?

Image from agnusday.org

I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin. (Romans 7:15-25a)

They say that one of the best tools to use in preaching, or sharing the Word of God, is to be honest and transparent in letting others know that which struggles one has in obeying and following the Lord.  And here, Paul is doing that in front of perhaps, his biggest audience, the Roman church.  He confesses that confusion is his when it comes to knowing and doing what is right in God's eyes.  The law defines the sin, and though he know in his mind what the sin is, his body does it anyway.  He's to the point of hating his own actions.  Sin is to blame, he says.  And in his honesty, he says "that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh."  Again, he knows what is right and can "will" himself to knowing what is right, but cannot do it.  It seems that his body continues to do the evil he does not want.  If we're honest, we should be identifying with that.  Paul doesn't name his sin, nor should we; God knows our sin and the evil we do/think/say in our lives.  We're at the point to ask, "Who will rescue us from this body of death?"  Jesus.  That's our answer.  It is only Jesus and our surrendering to Him that will allow us to be the persons we need to be.

Again, dear friend, we do not need to name our sin to anyone else, except Jesus.  Jesus knows us, cares for us, and loves us.  Jesus took our sin to the cross and there paid the price for it.  Ours is to receive God's grace to live the lives that Jesus wants us to live.  Through confession and surrender, we come to sanctification; that journey from where we used to live (sin, certain eternal death), to the road that leads to life in the fullest, and ultimately, to eternal life.  Isn't this a much better road on which to walk?

PRAYER:  Loving Father, we confess, like Paul, that we know what is right and what we should do, but many times we do not do it.  We confess further that like never before we need Jesus.  May Jesus take our sin and grant us the power of His Holy Spirit to do and live the things that please and bless You.  This we pray in HIs precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Walk with Jesus today as a surrendered soul to His love.

Eradio Valverde