Friday, July 07, 2017

The Lord is Gracious and Merciful

Image from whomshallisend.blogspot.com

The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The Lord is good to all, and his compassion is over all that he has made. All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord, and all your faithful shall bless you. They shall speak of the glory of your kingdom, and tell of your power, to make known to all people your mighty deeds, and the glorious splendour of your kingdom. Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures throughout all generations. The Lord is faithful in all his words, and gracious in all his deeds. The Lord upholds all who are falling, and raises up all who are bowed down. (Psalm 145:8-14)

How I wish to say, "The Lord has never driven a car in Corpus/San Antonio/Austin/Houston/LA traffic; that's why He's gracious and merciful, and slow to anger!" But I won't. It's a reflection on my impatience in driving in those cities (and people wonder why we retired in Seguin!) And it also wouldn't be true; the Lord has driven my car many times and pulled me from situations that could have had some dangerous consequences. I honestly believe that, and I'm sticking to my story. The Lord provides a role model, albeit perfect and holy, that we should emulate; and He's a person whose story we should share both in our living and our telling. I thank God for being slow to anger and yet abounding in steadfast love. I want to be the same way. I want to be good to all, and to have a compassion that has no end. For now, as I walk with Him, I want to be part of the "works" that give thanks to God and those who bless Him. I do want God's story and love to be made known to all. And best of all, I want to be a part of those who through God, "raise up all who are bowed down." The Message version says it this way: "God gives a hand to those down on their luck, gives a fresh start to those ready to quit."

Dear friend, we cannot give up nor quit; God is too loving and powerful to let us fail in any aspect of our lives. One thing I have learned in my life and in my ministry is truly that God has the last word in all things. The giant Goliath went down by the hand of a little boy. Jonah should have died in the belly of that great fish. The little unnamed servant girl sent Naaman to the person who could heal him; and the seemingly filthy waters of that river healed him because of God's intervention. What script can we write for our lives that leaves God out? What bedtime reflection can be more honest if we don't mention what God did for us that day? God is not through in your life.

PRAYER: Loving God, keep writing on the pages of my life. What I do I consider a sure thing when I leave You out? I want You in my life and in my needs. Help me to be part of the chorus that praises You and gives honor and glory to Your name. This I pray in Christ Jesus' powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Tell somebody what God has done in your life!

Eradio Valverde