Thursday, September 28, 2017

Once Upon a Time, The Stories of Our Faith

Image from etsy.com

Give ear, O my people, to my teaching; incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings from of old, things that we have heard and known,that our ancestors have told us. We will not hide them from their children;we will tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the Lord, and his might, and the wonders that he has done. In the sight of their ancestors he worked marvels in the land of Egypt, in the fields of Zoan. He divided the sea and let them pass through it, and made the waters stand like a heap. In the daytime he led them with a cloud, and all night long with a fiery light. He split rocks open in the wilderness, and gave them drink abundantly as from the deep. He made streams come out of the rock,and caused waters to flow down like rivers.(Psalm 78:1-4, 12-16)

There are several stories I have told to my children and churches that I cherish because God provided and cared for me.  Two of them rank high in the memory banks of my heart and soul.  The first was as recently transplanted Kingsvillians, we found ourselves without food on a Friday night.  We lived in a fourplex type apartment, and of the only two families there, the mother and wife of the other family came to our door with a can of Spaghetti-O's, which was all she had, because she knew we were hungry.  The other was when I was completely broke, and also without anything to eat, and a classmate in seminary invited me to have lunch with him.  We dined on the only two eggs he had, and four pieces of bread and a little peanut butter that remained in his cupboard.  

What are your stories?  And have you shared them with your children and grandchildren in ways that show they too, should have faith in God?  The psalmist in the above psalm recalls the very time we studied yesterday in Exodus and how God provided water for His people.  It was an event so significant that all generations who study that Exodus passage or who sat at the feet of those who lived it, and in turned shared it with their children, that story will always be remembered.  "This is the way God acted in my life..."

The great thing is that God hasn't finished with you or me.  God is still at work.  We should be thanking and praise God again and again for all He has done for and in us.  Then as we make time to share, we tell our children and their children, "Once upon a time, God acted in a big way in my life.  And this is what God did."

PRAYER:  Loving God, we praise and thank You for the many stories each of us has to share with our little ones.  May the memories of Your love and blessing always stay fresh, so that more will come to learn and receive from You.  We pray this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.  Share and be a blessing that will stay in the heart and memory of someone today.

Eradio Valverde