Thursday, September 21, 2017

Teach Your Little Ones About God!

Image from pinterest.com

I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name for ever and ever. Every day I will bless you, and praise your name for ever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; his greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall laud your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. On the glorious splendour of your majesty,and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. The might of your awesome deeds shall be proclaimed, and I will declare your greatness. They shall celebrate the fame of your abundant goodness, and shall sing aloud of your righteousness. The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. (Psalm 145:1-8)

Are fidget spinners still the rage?  Do you even know what a fidget spinner is?  My question is how did so many kids, almost all at once, come to find about about this gadget invented by a mom who wanted her child to have something to occupy his time?  My grandson, Liam, owns about ten.  And when I'm with him, he can't pass up a display of those things without asking to buy yet another one!  I bought one at the Dollar General Store because I knew, thanks to Liam, that they were a dollar, and included it in a little gift bag for one of our children from church who had emergency surgery.  Sunday at church I asked how he liked the fidget spinner.  He stopped, and pulled it out of his pocket and said, "I like it!"  I would guess if our kids like something they're going to tell someone else about it.

The psalmist today touched my heart with something that's always on my heart; "One generation shall laud Your works to another..."  If we're not doing that, then the psalmist was wrong.  We who love the Lord must show our love for God in ways that teach our little ones.  This applies to our children, whatever their age, our grandchildren, and those little ones who look up to us.  We have to live our lives in ways that tell about God in fidget spinner ways that other little ones will ask, "Where did you get that?!  I want it too!"  If nothing else, tell your little ones what Jonah taught us yesterday:  God is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love."

PRAYER:  Heavenly Father, help me right now to think of ways to tell those little ones around me, just how much you love them.  Help me life be a walking billboard of Your love and grace, and may the message include how You are slow to anger and filled with never-ending love.  Bless and protect those whom I call my children; in Jesus' name I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Ask a child about his/her fidget spinner and then ask if they know God's love is like that spinner;  It never stops!

Eradio Valverde

Prayer Updates:  Eva Boscamp's surgery went well for her knee replacement and will stay in Seguin Hospital for her rehab, which is exactly where she wanted to stay.  Ann Keck went home after her surgery.  Please continue to pray for Doug Smith and Rev. Michael Dobbs in their treatments and healing.  Thank you!