Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Feeling at Home in God's Work

Image from childrenschurch.wordpress.com

Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the Passover.  And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom;  and when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it,  but supposing him to be in the company they went a day's journey, and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintances;  and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking him.  After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions;  and all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.  And when they saw him they were astonished; and his mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been looking for you anxiously."  And he said to them, "How is it that you sought me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"  And they did not understand the saying which he spoke to them.  And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and was obedient to them; and his mother kept all these things in her heart.  And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature, and in favor with God and man. (Luke 2: 41-52 Revised Standard Version RSV)

May this devotional find you and yours well, dear Friend!  I pray the joy and wonder of Christmas is still present in your life and home!

Joy and wonder might be two words to describe Jesus' joy at being in the holy city of Jerusalem, and more especially in the Temple.  This was an annual tradition for Mary and Joseph, to join the pilgrims from their home to Jerusalem.  The joy began in the trip, with so many families walking together from their homes to Jerusalem, talk, news, food were commonly shared among all pilgrims.  Once there they celebrated the holy day of the Passover; a remembrance of God's mighty act in delivering the Jews from Egypt and the slavery they encountered there.  On this His twelfth birthday, Jesus had too much fun listening and talking to the teachers and so He lost track of time and His parents and all the pilgrims from Nazareth returned home.  I don't know about Joseph, but one of my least favorite things is having to return home once we have started a long journey, and I'm usually in a car!  These dear people were on foot!  Some have compared this to the classic movie Home Alone, where Kevin's parents leave the child all alone in home, where he has to defend the home against burglars.  In this case, Jesus was not left behind; He chose to stay, for He had much to learn and much to share.  It was Mary and Joseph who must have been besides themselves at having lost their son.  

Jesus was at home in God's house.  That was His answer to His mom and dad; "Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?"  Feeling at home is a sense one has when he or she knows that they are right where they need to be.  I felt this the on Christmas Eve.  This was the first time in 42 years that I had no responsibility in the worship service of one of the most important events of the Christian year. Yes, for seven of those years I was a district superintendent and I did have to be present and review and evaluate those pastors with whom I worshipped.  This time, I didn't have to write out any call to worship, responsive reading, prayer - nada!  I just had to be present to worship. And honestly, I could have stayed home! (But I can't do that!  I love being in worship!)  I do have to confess that I loved being next to my wife for this service.  But being in God's house makes me feel at home.  Greeting people is an "at home" experience for me.  Seeing the little ones who remember me and pointed at me, or came to hug me, another "at home" experience.  For Jesus, to hear the wisdom of the ages shared by these men of faith was an "at home" experience for Him.  Sad to think that perhaps some of the younger men in that room later schemed to have Him murdered.  But for now, Jesus was blessed by them, and I believe they were blessed by Him.

I pray that being in worship, reading this devotional, talking to people about God, all are "at home" experiences for you.  If not, it may be time for you to quit your wandering and come home to the Lord.  He is always ready to receive us with loving, open arms.

PRAYER:  Heavenly Father, let me, like Jesus, feel at home in the sacred things You share with me.  May I be like the child Jesus, filled with joy and wonder at reading and hearing Your precious word.  Bless my time with You so that I may bless others in sharing You with them.  This I pray in His holy name, Jesus my Lord and Savior, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  The joy and wonder of Christmas can continue in you today!

Eradio Valverde