Thursday, June 15, 2023

A Nation of Priests

Image from reflectionary.org

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3NuxQfr

View here: https://bit.ly/3PvZnPl

2 They followed the route from Rephidim, arrived at the Wilderness of Sinai, and set up camp. Israel camped there facing the mountain. 3 As Moses went up to meet God, God called down to him from the mountain: "Speak to the House of Jacob, tell the People of Israel: 4 'You have seen what I did to Egypt and how I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to me. 5 If you will listen obediently to what I say and keep my covenant, out of all peoples you'll be my special treasure. The whole Earth is mine to choose from, 6 but you're special: a kingdom of priests, a holy nation.' "This is what I want you to tell the People of Israel." 7 Moses came back and called the elders of Israel together and set before them all these words which God had commanded him. 8 The people were unanimous in their response: "Everything God says, we will do." (Exodus 19:2-8a The Message Bible)

The Exodus took forty years. Women have said that it took so long because Moses never stopped to ask for directions! The real reason was that God wanted to form a nation. The forty years was a generation and God wanted the journey to form a nation different from the other nations. It was a forty-year degree that God wanted His people to receive. God knew the history of all nations and He was not impressed. God knew the need of the world to have at least one nation that would know and love Him, and love others enough to help form them in the right direction. Every mile of the Exodus was an experience or course in what God wanted them to learn. In this passage we read how God reminds Moses to remind the people of all they had seen in God's dealing with the people of Egypt, and all that God did for them. "How I carried you on eagles' wings and brought you to me." God is not only reminding but calling them into relationship. God also says that if they pay attention ("listen obediently to what I say and keep my covenant"). And God promises that Israel will be His "special treasure," and even at this point, God considers them special like a "nation of priests, a holy nation."

The forty-year degree is a seminary degree, for God has not only called them into learning, but into a process of setting them apart, preparing them for ordination as priests, and all of them together will bcome a holy nation. I read that as a special responsibility not privilege. The relationship they have enjoyed with God was to help them know how to relate to Him and to the other nations. The role of a priest is to be a bridge between God and humanity. That relationship is to show others how it's done. The priest should live his or her life in a way that shows the specialness of God and them to set them apart as an example of how living away from sinful things, a life of love and mercy beats all other ways. The Bible teaches us about a life lived in piety is a good way to live. Please remember that is not a "holier than thou" way, but a way that acknowledges God and God's ways as an option that beats all other options.

When I was first ordained as a pastor, once back home my little sister who was about twelve years old, sat on the sofa across from me and stared at me without saying a word. I asked her, "Why are you staring at me?" She replied, "Well, you are ordained now and I want to see what's different about you?" I laughed and jokingly asked, "Do you want me to hit you?" She got up and ran. Indeed, nor a good witness about my ordination but I wanted her to know I was still her brother and our relationship had not changed. Remember our devotion yesterday about humor being important? To be of God involves all of our being and that is not necessarily one of having a serious, sad face with no smiles and no joy; quite the opposite, we recognize the joys of life, being alive for one, and being a part of a family as another, and trusting God for all that was yet to come. It was great to hear the people say, and have most of them mean it, "Everything God says, we will do."

The question we must ask ourselves is how holy have we become because we know, love, and trust God? What about you "give you away" as being holy? These are great questions given the challenges of society and life today. The world truly needs to know those who are genuinely people of love, accepting and not judging all people, regardless of their appearance, their accents, backgrounds and choices they've made in life. The nation of priests says to all, welcome, let us join hands and hearts, and help others come closer to God.

PRAYER: Loving God, help us truly say and mean that we will truly do all You have asked of us; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Be a person made holy by God.

Receive my blessings of hope and peace,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.