Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Hide Not Thy Face, O God

Image from workingprescher.org

Listen to devotional: https://bit.ly/3pfmxyt

View devo: https://bit.ly/3NHe14V

7 Because of you I look like an idiot, I walk around ashamed to show my face. 8 My brothers shun me like a bum off the street; My family treats me like an unwanted guest. 9 I love you more than I can say. Because I'm madly in love with you, They blame me for everything they dislike about you. 10 When I poured myself out in prayer and fasting, All it got me was more contempt. 11 When I put on a sad face, They treated me like a clown. 12 Now drunks and gluttons Make up drinking songs about me. 13 And me? I pray. God, it's time for a break! God, answer in love! Answer with your sure salvation! 14 Rescue me from the swamp, Don't let me go under for good, Pull me out of the clutch of the enemy; This whirlpool is sucking me down. 15 Don't let the swamp be my grave, the Black Hole Swallow me, its jaws clenched around me. 16 Now answer me, God, because you love me; Let me see your great mercy full-face. 17 Don't look the other way; your servant can't take it. I'm in trouble. Answer right now! 18 Come close, God; get me out of here. Rescue me from this deathtrap. (Psalm 69:7-18 The Message Bible)

The words of Jesus in Monday's gospel lesson about the "sword" and the division that woulc come between parents and children and in-laws with in-laws, is rooted in this psalm. There have been too many cases of those who have loved God in the right way and it has come at a great cost. This has been especially true in the case of those who were called into professional ministry. And, more so by those who felt the call after they had already married while enjoying a totally different career and calling. Some lost their marriages because the spouse would say "I married a (fill in the blank) not a preacher. Or, even the "God did not call me into ministry." And those were valid, but their reality caused heartahce and heartbreak; in some cases more so for the children of these broken marriages. But we cannot forget the promise of Jesus for thosw who left father or mother for His sake, that He would provide a hundred mothers and fathers for them. (Matthew 19:29).

The psalmist knows about the reality of his relationship with God and the impact that had on other relationships. In his case, it was his brothers and family who shunned him as they would "bums off the street," and "unwanted guests." Yet, his love for God did not waver, nor should ours. The psalmists writes that his love for God caused those who did not care for God to despise him and blame him and God for their dislike of God. This did not deter his spiritual disciplines of prayer and fasting even at the cost of more contempt and anger towards him. Any sadness in his life made his enemies ridiculte him and even the drunks and gluttons of his town made up drinking songs but this drove him further into prayer and worship of God. And he used those times to call upon God to rescue him from all he was facing, and the answer he wanted was to feel the love and salvation from God. His plea was for God not to hide His face from him as he prayed.

We have been in his shoes many a time before, have we not? And have we sought God through worship and prayer, or did we leave the spiritual realms for the worldly ones? The answer, dear friend, is always in God and we should never give up or think there is no remedy. There's always a remedy if we trust God. And trusting God begins with our loving and seeking to know God better and better in all the ways we can. We should never write God off, for God holds the pen.

PRAYER: Loving God, speak life and hope to us when we face the hardness and reality of life. When it seems our enemies have teamed up against me and my faith. Hear us when we cry out to You; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Be the bright face of God radiant with hope!

Receive my blessings of peace and hope,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.