Thursday, June 29, 2023

From Desperation to Hope

Image from petesantucci.com

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3CPSbpl

View here: https://bit.ly/46v8Nk7

1 How long, LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? 2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? 3 Look on me and answer, LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death, 4 and my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall. 5 But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. 6 I will sing the LORD’s praise, for he has been good to me. (Psalm 13 NIV Bible)

Our hope is in the Lord; the God Who Provides and there are times when you need that word more than usual. And that could hold true for today for some, not for all. As I write this is it Wednesday and the first text of the morning was one alerting me of yet another death, this time of Mrs. Terry McCandless, a strong woman of faith and service, who for many years worked faithfully at the Conference Center in San Antonio. She had been battling cancer and this morning at 4:45, she entered into the amrs of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Terry was the wife of The Rev. Mickey McCandless, who worked for Methodist HealthCare Ministries and for many years was the pastor of Bracken UMC. Please pray that Terry and family are comforted by the Lord. And may God be with any and all who also mourn on this day for loved ones already in the presence of the Lord.

In my forty-six years of ministry, not counting the ministry I've continued in retirement, I learned a lot about life. Life is beautiful, but with beauty also comes the dark side of the challenges that come with life, which can sometimes Life can sometimes feel like a turbulent storm, tossing us amidst waves of doubt, sorrow, and uncertainty. And it is in those moments of despair, that we may question whether God sees our struggles and if He hears our cries. Yet, within the pages of the Bible, we find solace in the Psalms, where the psalmist pours out his heart and emotions before the Lord. In Psalm 13, we witness a beautiful transformation—a journey from desperation to hope.

As we enter Psalm 13, we encounter a weary soul, crying out to the Lord, asking how long the trials will persist. None seem brief; all seem like they will last an eternity. It is a raw and honest lament, reflecting the anguish of feeling forgotten and abandoned by God. Yet, even in the midst of this anguish, we find a glimmer of hope, for the psalmist turns to the One who holds the power to rescue and redeem.

In verses 3 and 4, the psalmist directs his plea to the Lord, asking for His divine intervention. No burden should be borne alone and certainly without God's help. He longs for God's light to shine upon his path, dispelling the darkness that threatens to overwhelm him. He knows that without the Lord's intervention, he may be consumed by his sorrows, and his enemies may rejoice over his defeat. But he doesn't stop there. Instead, he chooses to place his trust in God's unfailing love.

It is in verse 5 that we witness the turning point—the shift from despair to hope. The psalmist declares, "But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation." In the face of adversity, he refuses to be defined by his circumstances. Instead, he anchors his hope in the character of God—the One who is steadfast, faithful, and loving. He chooses to rejoice, not in his present circumstances, but in the assurance of God's deliverance and salvation.

As we reflect on this psalm, we too can find hope in our own trials. Like the psalmist, we can pour out our hearts before God, expressing our honest emotions and concerns. He welcomes our laments, our questions, and our doubts. And in our vulnerability, we can find the strength to shift our gaze from our troubles to the greatness of our God.

Though we may not always see immediate answers to our prayers, we can trust in God's unfailing love. His timing is perfect, and His ways are higher than our own. Even when the storms of life rage around us, we can cling to the hope found in our relationship with Him. We can rejoice in the salvation He has provided through His Son, Jesus Christ, who conquered sin and death on our behalf.

So, let us join the psalmist in his resolve to praise the Lord. Despite the challenges we face, let our hearts overflow with gratitude for His faithfulness. He has been good to us, and He will continue to be our source of hope and strength in every circumstance.

PRAYER: Awesome God, speak to our needs and despair. May it be Your strength that moves us from desperation to hope. Help us be ambassadors to hope; in Christ Jesus we pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Be a faithful witness to God's power to move us into hope.

Receive my blessings of joy and peace,

Pastor Eradiio Valverde, Jr.