Tuesday, July 02, 2024

Strength in Weakness

Image from biblestudytools.com

Hear the devotional: https://bit.ly/3zuuQeM

View devo: https://bit.ly/3zrpIYD

2 I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. 3 And I know that such a person—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows— 4 was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat. 5 On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. 6 But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, 7 even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. 8 Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, 9 but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:2-10 NRSV)

Dear Friend, please be in prayer for the family of Mr. Bill Meadows, a dear friend and church musician of our church, First Methodist of Gonzales, Texas. He was a dear, caring Christian man who loved everybody. Prayers for Cheryl, his wife, and their family and all who loved and will miss Bill. Pray for one another.

I have always wondered what Paul was referring to when he speaks of "Third heaven," and so I looked it up. If it was covered in class I may have been absent that day. The ancient Jewish thought about the heavens was divided into three: First Heaven: This was considered to be the sky or the atmosphere surrounding the Earth, where the birds fly and the clouds move (Genesis 1:20; Deuteronomy 11:17). Second Heaven: This was seen as the realm where celestial bodies such as the sun, moon, and stars are located (Genesis 1:14-18; Psalm 19:1-6). Third Heaven: This was understood as the highest heaven, where God's presence dwells and where angels and heavenly beings reside. It is the realm of divine glory and perfection (Deuteronomy 10:14; 1 Kings 8:27; Psalm 115:16; Matthew 6:9; 2 Corinthians 12:2).

Paul's reference to being caught up to the "third heaven" suggests a visionary experience where he was granted a glimpse into the highest and most sacred realm of divine revelation and presence. This aligns with other mystical and visionary experiences recorded in Jewish and Christian literature, where individuals are granted insights into heavenly realms and divine mysteries (e.g., Ezekiel's visions, Daniel's visions, Revelation).

Therefore, when Paul speaks of the "third heaven," he is referring to a profound spiritual experience rather than a physical journey through layers of the atmosphere or space. It underscores his encounter with God's presence and the mysteries revealed to him in that moment. This understanding is rooted in the broader Jewish worldview of the cosmos and is reflected in various Jewish and Christian writings of the time.

In this passage Paul is led to share a profound revelation about the strength found in weakness. He describes a deeply personal experience of being given a "thorn in the flesh," which he interprets as a messenger of Satan sent to torment him. Despite pleading with God three times to remove it, God’s response was, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness."

Paul’s understanding of weakness is radically transformed through this encounter. He learns that God’s power shines brightest through human weakness. This revelation teaches us several important truths about our own lives and faith journey:

Firstly, weakness is not a hindrance but an opportunity for God’s power to manifest itself in our lives. When we face challenges, difficulties, or limitations, instead of seeing them as setbacks, we can see them as platforms for God to display His strength and grace.

Secondly, Paul’s acceptance of his weakness demonstrates humility and faith. Rather than striving to appear strong or capable in his own right, Paul embraces his vulnerabilities as avenues for God’s glory to be revealed. This challenges us to reframe our understanding of success and strength, acknowledging that true strength comes from relying on God’s grace.

Lastly, Paul’s declaration, "Whenever I am weak, then I am strong," encapsulates the paradoxical nature of Christian faith. It is in moments of our deepest inadequacy or vulnerability that we can experience the profound strength that comes from God alone.

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for the example of the apostle Paul, who found strength in weakness through Your grace. Help us to embrace our weaknesses, knowing that Your power is made perfect in them. Teach us to rely on Your strength rather than our own, that we may glorify You in all circumstances. Grant us faith to trust in Your sufficiency and grace. In Jesus’ strong name we pray, Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! YOUR CALL TO ACTION: Reflect on a current weakness or challenge in your life. How can you shift your perspective to see it as an opportunity for God’s power to be displayed? Ask God to reveal His strength to you in that area and to help you rely more fully on His grace. Share your experience with a trusted friend or mentor, encouraging them with how God is working in your weakness.

I love you and I thank God for you,

Pastor Eradio Valverde, Jr.