Monday, March 21, 2005

HOLY WEEK 2005

Good day dear friends. Here we are at Holy Week 2005. We started the week with a wonderful celebration with our children processing in to commemorate Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem in what we call Palm Sunday. P.A.L.M. for the sermon was "a Parade Adoring the Lord as Messiah." Our text was from Matthew 11:1-11. The sermon title was "Are You Holding The Big Ticket?" asking what would have been our faith response to Jesus had we been in the crowd close to Him as He rode into our city?

I pray we will grow deeper in our spirituality as we close out this week with important worship services on Thursday, Friday and then our big Resurrection Sunday worship services.

Monday: Could David have known what his words would come to mean in later years in the life of the One he only knew as “Lord?” Read Psalm 118 for today. See how David uses the words and then reflect on how the stage was set for Jesus’ arrival in Jerusalem on that Palm Sunday.

Here is Psalm 118:

1 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his steadfast love endures forever! 2 Let Israel say, "His steadfast love endures forever." 3 Let the house of Aaron say, "His steadfast love endures forever." 4 Let those who fear the Lord say, "His steadfast love endures forever." 5 Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place. 6 With the Lord on my side I do not fear. What can mortals do to me? 7 The Lord is on my side to help me; I shall look in triumph on those who hate me. 8 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in mortals. 9 It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in princes. 10 All nations surrounded me; in the name of the Lord I cut them off! 11 They surrounded me, surrounded me on every side; in the name of the Lord I cut them off! 12 They surrounded me like bees; they blazed like a fire of thorns; in the name of the Lord I cut them off! 13 I was pushed hard, F238 so that I was falling, but the Lord helped me. 14 The Lord is my strength and my might; he has become my salvation. 15 There are glad songs of victory in the tents of the righteous: "The right hand of the Lord does valiantly; 16 the right hand of the Lord is exalted; the right hand of the Lord does valiantly." 17 I shall not die, but I shall live, and recount the deeds of the Lord. 18 The Lord has punished me severely, but he did not give me over to death.

19 Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the Lord. 20 This is the gate of the Lord; the righteous shall enter through it. 21 I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. 22 The stone that the builders rejected has become the chief cornerstone. 23 This is the Lord's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. 24 This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. 25 Save us, we beseech you, O Lord! O Lord, we beseech you, give us success! 26 Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord. We bless you from the house of the Lord. 27 The Lord is God, and he has given us light. Bind the festal procession with branches, up to the horns of the altar. 28 You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God, I will extol you. 29 O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.

It is in the last 10 verses of this psalm from 19 to 29 that we find David praising God and using language that later comes to be seen as prophetic. David wants "the gates of righteousness" to be opened, so that he can go in and "give thanks to the Lord." He refers to the stone rejected becoming "the chief cornerstone." And he mentions a "festal procession with branches," another reference to Palm Sunday and what we associate with that day. David knew that God is never through with what He wants done, for David knew God as a constant, involved Creator. God was involved in the lives of His children and would do what the faithful would ask. All David knew to do was to praise.

Yesterday while dressing for church I was watching a local tv preacher who happened to mention that one of his favorite books is a small book by the name of "Power in Praise." I had never heard of that book and just this morning went to amazon.com to see if there was such a creature available. I heard the pastor mention "The Power of Praise," and the search turned up only this book. But the excerpt was very powerful about praising God in all situations. The opening pages tell the story of a family with a loved one with a drinking problem. He heard the author speak of there being power in praising God for even situations like this and when this man and his wife prayed praising God for the condition of this loved one, the whole situation changed. The loved one asked about Jesus and through sharing and prayer, the loved one changed.

All we can and should do is be involved in praise to the Lord. This is a week like I mentioned yesterday that didn't make sense to the folks in the crowd. On Sunday they were shouting "Hosanna!" On Monday they were asking, "Just who is this guy and why is he making us so uncomfortable?" By Thursday one of his own betrayed him, selling him out for thirty pieces of silver, and by Friday many of the same crowd were yelling, "Crucify him!" All the faithful knew to do was to be in praise. We can be involved in praise through our prayer life. We need to recognize that prayer is worship and worship done through praise brings blessings.

Can you be in praise today?

PRAYER: Lord of all life, we praise you today for this precious gift of life and the gift of this day. We don't know what may come the rest of this day but we praise You and glorify Your name. Let our praises bring a blessing to You and to Yours. We pray in the name of Jesus our Lord. Amen.

Have a great day!

e.v.