Monday, March 09, 2009

FOLLOWING GOD'S CALL


Heavenly Father, richly protect this dear reader in whatever challenge may come their way today. In Jesus' Name, amen.

As we journey towards Holy Week, especially towards a deeper and richer understanding of Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday, we are aware of "calls" in our lives. Our text for yesterday's sermon was from Genesis 17 and the call of Abram and Sarai to be faithful to God. After revealing Himself as "God Almighty," both Abram and Sarai believed and as a result had their names changed, to the promise towards which they had been called. As soon as they said yes, it was a done deal as far as God was concerned. The new name of Abraham means "father of multitudes" and that comes to a man who is 99 years old and childless. Sarah means "noble woman" or "princess" indicating the change in her stature among her people.

To what have you been called, and what was your answer? I shared how when I was in seminary in the late seventies, I lived in a dorm filled with single, twenty-something men. When I visited the campus of SMU, it had become a freshmen dorm for gifted and talented students; a self-contained environment where classes, living space, etc. was all within. At that time the average age of seminaries was about 53 years old. I made the point that these fifty-somethings had been called perhaps earlier in their lives but they had said no and after a successful secular career heard the call again and entered into ministry. The Bible is very clear that when we say yes to God, regardless of the difficulty of the call, God's presence and God's peace is always with us.

If you feel a lack of peace, have you honestly reflected on where you are and where God wants you to be? Perhaps today is the day when you realize that to have complete peace in your heart involves your finally saying yes to God.

PRAYER: God of my life, if You have called me to a specific purpose, help my doubts and disbeliefs and help me to say yes, realizing that You will be with me as will Your peace. Guide me to faithfulness. I ask this in Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde