Thursday, September 09, 2010

FOOLS FOR THE LORD?

Awesome God of all journeys, journey with this dear reader this morning in all that they may face; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for this morning, it is Psalm 14: 1 Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is no one who does good. 2 The Lord looks down from heaven on humankind to see if there are any who are wise, who seek after God. 3 They have all gone astray, they are all alike perverse; there is no one who does good, no, not one. 4 Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread, and do not call upon the Lord? 5 There they shall be in great terror, for God is with the company of the righteous. 6 You would confound the plans of the poor, but the Lord is their refuge. 7 O that deliverance for Israel would come from Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob will rejoice; Israel will be glad.

Gosh, even found among those who say there is a God we find fools. It is not limited to the unbelieving. Consider things folks have done through the ages in the name of God. We find in history, murders, invasions, the whole list of what Paul warned were things of the flesh found among the things that should happen only among unbelievers. And I'm not far behind, at times. I'm not always the believer I should be and I have my faults. I pray about those every day and ask to be made new every day. Yet, I seek God. I say "amen" and then start listening. And sometimes I don't like what I hear God saying. I seek to not go astray from God and to become the strong believer whose life can show others how to better live.

Wesley would ask the first members of the Methodist Society, "Are you willing to flee the coming wrath of God?" That was the entrance question. Guess what the correct answer was: YES! And so it should be with me and you. I seek to live a life that brings God's kingdom here and now and then I know the heavenly kingdom will be mine.

PRAYER: Loving God forgive me the times I have sought my own way and not worried about you or others. Help me to believe and be made new today, I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day!

Eradio Valverde