Wednesday, September 08, 2010

JOYFUL REBELLION OR JOYFUL OBEDIENCE?

Blessed God, bless the life and needs of this dear reader, in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text comes from Jeremiah 4: 11 At that time it will be said to this people and to Jerusalem: A hot wind comes from me out of the bare heights in the desert toward my poor people, not to winnow or cleanse— 12 a wind too strong for that. Now it is I who speak in judgment against them. 22 "For my people are foolish, they do not know me; they are stupid children, they have no understanding. They are skilled in doing evil, but do not know how to do good." 23 I looked on the earth, and lo, it was waste and void; and to the heavens, and they had no light. 24 I looked on the mountains, and lo, they were quaking, and all the hills moved to and fro. 25 I looked, and lo, there was no one at all, and all the birds of the air had fled. 26 I looked, and lo, the fruitful land was a desert, and all its cities were laid in ruins before the Lord, before his fierce anger. 27 For thus says the Lord: The whole land shall be a desolation; yet I will not make a full end. 28 Because of this the earth shall mourn, and the heavens above grow black; for I have spoken, I have purposed; I have not relented nor will I turn back.

What good comes from disobeying God? This passage is answering that question or better said, God is answering the question. Like a loving parent whose children think they know a better or only way, heartbreak comes to parents when they see the results of decisions and actions that had warned children to make the "right choice." How sad for a mom or dad to say about their children, "they sure do know how to do evil, but when it comes to doing what is right, they have no clue."

May it not be said of us or our children that we have not taught and followed God's way in our lives. May our decisions and actions and words reflect a commitment to God and the things of God. May it be so of our churches as well.

PRAYER: Loving God, I confess that I have been there more times than I care to share. Forgive me for those times and help me to live a life that shows joyful obedience. May that obedience bless someone else who is thinking about following their own way instead of Yours. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde