Thursday, September 30, 2010

SINGING GOD'S SONG

Loving God who combats fear, strengthen the faith of hope in this dear reader's life; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for this morning is Psalm 137: 1 Alongside Babylon's rivers we sat on the banks; we cried and cried, remembering the good old days in Zion. 2 Alongside the quaking aspens we stacked our unplayed harps; 3 That's where our captors demanded songs, sarcastic and mocking: "Sing us a happy Zion song!" 4 Oh, how could we ever sing God's song in this wasteland? 5 If I ever forget you, Jerusalem, let my fingers wither and fall off like leaves. 6 Let my tongue swell and turn black if I fail to remember you, If I fail, O dear Jerusalem, to honor you as my greatest. 7 God, remember those Edomites, and remember the ruin of Jerusalem, That day they yelled out, "Wreck it, smash it to bits!" 8 And you, Babylonians - ravagers! A reward to whoever gets back at you for all you've done to us; 9 Yes, a reward to the one who grabs your babies and smashes their heads on the rocks!

This passage is more a lamentation than it is a song of joy. It is a song of bitterness of one found in a new, unwanted land, where memories of one's former city linger strongly. It is a song of exile and a song of revenge. It is not a psalm that glorifies God, but it is again, following the week's theme, where we may find ourselves if we stray from God. The image of our being away from God is not a good one, but it is one that shows the emotions that come from not being obedient to God. And it is the result, not of God's action, but of our choice. Most of us, thank God, have never found ourselves captive by an enemy army, but captivity to bad habits or sin is not just as bad, but worse, for its results are eternal. The best thing is to stay away from that which, as Jesus warned in John 10:10, can "steal, kill, and destroy." Ours is a faith of life and that of abundance or fullness of life as shared in that same verse. Ours is a faith that allows us to sing God's song, no matter where we find ourselves.

PRAYER: Loving God, many are the times something has seemed so right or comforting, yet deep down I have known it is not the right thing for my life. Free me from my captors in whatever sly form they may take. Give me eyes of faith to see that which glorifies You and blesses me. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord.

Eradio Valverde