Tuesday, September 07, 2010

GRACE AND MERCY OVERFLOWING-AND IT SHOWS!

Loving God, bless and protect the life of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Here is our text for today from 1 Timothy 1: 12 I am grateful to Christ Jesus our Lord, who has strengthened me, because he judged me faithful and appointed me to his service, 13 even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. But I received mercy because I had acted ignorantly in unbelief, 14 and the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. 15 The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the foremost. 16 But for that very reason I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience, making me an example to those who would come to believe in him for eternal life. 17 To the King of the ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

I have shared many times how God through Christ Jesus has changed the lives of so many. My favorite took place in my first appointment, a student charge, where a young married man, who had just returned from having worked for the circus for many years, was a wild man and his face showed it. Yes, he had been one of those who truly ran away to join the circus! After sharing Christ with him, he accepted and on Sunday, in church, I did not recognize him. The Lord Jesus took a hold of his life and it showed. In all the churches since then I have seen the change that comes over people who surrunder their selfish and self-centered will to the will of the Lord God. Paul was no exception, he knew that his strength and fidelity to the service of Christ Jesus came from that surrender. Paul names his sins: Blasphemer, a persecutor and a man of violence (v. 13), and even while in ignorant unbelief, he received mercy and grace resulting in an overflowing of faith and love. Jesus, Paul declares, as should we, came into the world to save sinners, and Paul and I are "the foremost," but thanks be to God for God's unfailing love!

PRAYER: Loving God, let me surrender to You this morning . I ask that Your work in me may be made strong that I might show fidelity and obedience to You. Grant me mercy and grace overflowing. Remove me from the top ten list of sinners and place me on the list of those who love You. I ask this in Christ Jesus' name, through Whom I have been saved, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde