Wednesday, November 17, 2010

WHOSE HAND DO YOU HOLD?

Loving God, bless and direct the steps of need in the life of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from Jeremiah 23: 1 "Doom to the shepherd-leaders who butcher and scatter my sheep!" God's Decree. 2 "So here is what I, God, Israel's God, say to the shepherd-leaders who misled my people: 'You've scattered my sheep. You've driven them off. You haven't kept your eye on them. Well, let me tell you, I'm keeping my eye on you, keeping track of your criminal behavior. 3 I'll take over and gather what's left of my sheep, gather them in from all the lands where I've driven them. I'll bring them back where they belong, and they'll recover and flourish. 4 I'll set shepherd-leaders over them who will take good care of them. They won't live in fear or panic anymore. All the lost sheep rounded up!' God's Decree." 5 "Time's coming" - God's Decree - "when I'll establish a truly righteous David-Branch, A ruler who knows how to rule justly. He'll make sure of justice and keep people united. 6 In his time Judah will be secure again and Israel will live in safety. This is the name they'll give him: 'God-Who-Puts-Everything-Right.' (The Message)

As a parent I loved the days when my daughters wanted to hold my hand. It said a lot about their trust in me, especially when we were about to cross a busy street. Now as a grandparent, this is being repeated with our grandchildren. Yes, they also get to the phase where they don't want to hold anybody's hand! But it says again that their trust is in us to guide and protect them. The question for today is, whose hand do you hold? Who do you look to, to guide and protect you? In today's reading, the people of God looked to the "shepherds," appointed, but not neccesarily anointed people to guide them. Some were in it only for themselves. I heard someone say the other day that the oldest radio station in the world is WII-FM, and folks for many years have been faithfully listening to it. The station it turns out to be "What's In It For Me?" Anytime we listen only to WII-FM, we lose sight of God and what God has asked of us.

When we let God be our Shepherd, we find exactly what we need for living and facing life. This version gives God a great name, "God-Who-Puts-Everything-Right." We've had days like that when we think everything that could go wrong, did. Later, we look back and either laugh or smile, because through it all, God was with us and we learned and were ultimately blessed by what we experienced. Wouldn't a better radio station be KHCB-AM? Keep Him Close By-AMen!

PRAYER: Blessed Lord, let me keep you close by, for You are my Shepherd. I need Your strength, guidance and protection today and all days. Forgive me when I have looked out only for myself and trusted myself. I want You to be my source of life in all things. I ask that You please hold my hand today. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde