Monday, November 15, 2010

JESUS IS KING!

Amazing God of grace and glory, grant to this dear reader strength for their journey today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Luke 23:33-43 is our text for today: (The Message Version):33 When they got to the place called Skull Hill, they crucified him, along with the criminals, one on his right, the other on his left. 34 Jesus prayed, "Father, forgive them; they don't know what they're doing." 35 The people stood there staring at Jesus, and the ringleaders made faces, taunting, "He saved others. Let's see him save himself! The Messiah of God - ha! The Chosen - ha!" 36 The soldiers also came up and poked fun at him, making a game of it. They toasted him with sour wine: 37 "So you're King of the Jews! Save yourself!" 38 Printed over him was a sign: this is the king of the jews. 39 One of the criminals hanging alongside cursed him: "Some Messiah you are! Save yourself! Save us!" 40 But the other one made him shut up: "Have you no fear of God? You're getting the same as him. 41 We deserve this, but not him - he did nothing to deserve this." 42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you enter your kingdom." 43 He said, "Don't worry, I will. Today you will join me in paradise."

Jesus Christ is the King of kings! This coming Sunday most Christian churches will be celebrating that fact. And the basis for that comes from His own declaration as well as the one above made by the Roman government. The passage I know will make you say, "But that's from Good Friday! And we're not even had Thanksgiving yet! " It is never a bad thing to be reminded of all the good that Jesus did for you and me, including to die in the way described above. The above passage has several elements that benefit and bless us each day. One is forgiveness. What has someone done to you that would compare to what was done to Jesus? Yet, Jesus says, "Father, forgive them; they don't know what they're doing." Another is handling criticism and mockery. Sure, people have made fun of us, for no good reasons. Does it compare with what was done in hatred and murderous intention towards our Lord? What about being called names? Yes, that too, you and I have been there. Yet, the name given to Jesus was the name that we honor and worship: Jesus is King. Jesus is our king and Lord. The thieves at Jesus' dying side were an interesting pair. One wanted salvation from the pain and suffering of death. The other wanted salvation of his soul. He recognized that he was dying of a deserved crime, yet he also knew that something good could come of that death. And what better than Jesus' promise, "Don't worry...Today you will join me in paradise."

Dear friend, what possible thing in your life could keep you down when what Jesus did for you and me was to bring us up? Yes, life has more than its share of challenges and hardships, but through it all we stand with Jesus and with Jesus by our side, what more could we want?

PRAYER: Loving God, thank You for Jesus and His willingness to stand by and with us. Whatever I may face today I do it with the knowledge that You are alway with me. Help me when I have trouble forgiving or even asking for forgiveness. Help me when people mock me or make fun of me. Help me when I am called names or labeled things that should and do not matter in my life. Let this be a day in which I glorify Your name. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde