Thursday, January 27, 2011

ARE YOU ON GOD'S GUEST LIST?

Loving God of all creation, You lovingly formed this dear reader in Your image; let them truly reflect it this day by Your presence and power; in Christ Jesus I pray, Amen.

Here is our text for today from Psalm 15: 1 God, who gets invited to dinner at your place? How do we get on your guest list? 2 "Walk straight, act right, tell the truth. 3 "Don't hurt your friend, don't blame your neighbor; 4 despise the despicable. "Keep your word even when it costs you, 5 make an honest living, never take a bribe. "You'll never get blacklisted if you live like this." (The Message)

The hardhitting language of today does two things: 1. It reflects the sentiment of the old language, 2. Scares us into the reality of what is behind the old language. In a question and answer psalm, the psalmist has asked God about who gets invited to dinner at God's place. It was somewhat humorous to see television commentators going over the menu of the last White House state dinner when the president of China was over. Each item was analyzed and cost speculation was shared. I think it was envy and a desire to have been invited to sit at the table, not so much for the food, but for what it symbolized. The same is true here. To be invited to God's place in the heavenly realm is not so much about divine food and seven or eight or ten courses that are served, but to be in the presence and power of God. I want to be on God's guest list is what the psalmist is saying. Then God answers, "You want to be invited? Here's what you do: Be a straight-forward person in all your dealings, act in a civil and courteous way, being honest with all. Seek not to hurt your friends, nor place blame on your neighbor. Seek to avoid that which is not of Me, and always be a person who says yes when you mean yes and no when you mean no, no matter the cost. Seek to provide for yourself and those who depend on you in an honest way, never taking shortcuts or that which would bring you wealth at the cost of your dignity. If you live in this way, you will always be on my guest list."

What a thing to share with someone today if they ask how we are. You can say, "I'm on God's guest list!" And take it from there. Sure, some will press you and ask, "Does that mean you're dying and God's expecting you?" You can say something like, "No, I'm living a full life, thanks to God and what God is expecting from me is to be the best person I can; the rest is just details. Would you like to be on God's guest list?"

PRAYER: Loving God, place me on Your guest list. Let it be because today I will live as I should and do as I should. May my actions be an act of loving evangelism that speaks volumes of what You have done and have shared with me. May it be that others will join me, if it be Your will; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde