Wednesday, January 05, 2011

I AM BLESSED BY TWO BAPTISMS - MINE AND THE LORD'S!

How marvelous is Your love for us, dear God; shower more on the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

This coming Sunday is the Church's celebration of Jesus' Baptism and the gospel text is from Matthew: 13 Jesus then appeared, arriving at the Jordan River from Galilee. He wanted John to baptize him. 14 John objected, "I'm the one who needs to be baptized, not you!" 15 But Jesus insisted. "Do it. God's work, putting things right all these centuries, is coming together right now in this baptism." So John did it. 16 The moment Jesus came up out of the baptismal waters, the skies opened up and he saw God's Spirit - it looked like a dove - descending and landing on him. 17 And along with the Spirit, a voice: "This is my Son, chosen and marked by my love, delight of my life." (The Message)

What a special Sunday it is when someone is presented for baptism. In my years in San Marcos, doing river baptisms was the highlight of my week once I got over the fear of the temperature and the flow of the river! For the families and individuals baptism marks a special and sacred occasion. It was no less so with that day and with our Lord. Jesus had heard that his cousin John was baptizing people, washing away their sins. John's message attracted many and those downstream from that place on the Jordan River probably didn't want to drink from that water.

John knew Jesus and his place in God's plan, so he resisted baptizing Jesus, insisting he was the one who needed it. Jesus replies with an understanding that it was part of God's plan, "putting things right all these centuries..coming together right now in this baptism." Indeed it was, God identifying with humanity in this powerful act. It cannot be said of our Lord that He does not identify in every aspect of our lives, this sealed the deal. Then, one of two public declarations from the heavens when God spoke and said, "This is my Son." This version has a special addition/interpretation of it, "chosen and marked by my love, delight of my life." So should it be in our hearts towards Jesus and towards our own baptism.

PRAYER: Loving God, for my baptism, I am eternally grateful. For the baptism of Jesus I am eternally blessed. May I always be mindful of both days and how they served to help make me closer to the person You would have me be. Lead me on, towards that special place today and all days; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde