Tuesday, January 11, 2011

CLEANED UP AND SET APART!

God of all people, bless and protect this dear reader in their life today; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text is from 1 Corinthians 1; 1 I, Paul, have been called and sent by Jesus, the Messiah, according to God's plan, along with my friend Sosthenes. 2 I send this letter to you in God's church at Corinth, Christians cleaned up by Jesus and set apart for a God-filled life. I include in my greeting all who call out to Jesus, wherever they live. He's their Master as well as ours! 3 May all the gifts and benefits that come from God our Father, and the Master, Jesus Christ, be yours. 4 Every time I think of you - and I think of you often! - I thank God for your lives of free and open access to God, given by Jesus. 5 There's no end to what has happened in you - it's beyond speech, beyond knowledge. 6 The evidence of Christ has been clearly verified in your lives. 7 Just think - you don't need a thing, you've got it all! All God's gifts are right in front of you as you wait expectantly for our Master Jesus to arrive on the scene for the Finale. 8 And not only that, but God himself is right alongside to keep you steady and on track until things are all wrapped up by Jesus. 9 God, who got you started in this spiritual adventure, shares with us the life of his Son and our Master Jesus. He will never give up on you. Never forget that. The Cross: The Irony of God's Wisdom . (The Message)

When our girls were babies, it seemed like we had an assembly line at bath time at night. They would be thoroughly washed and scrubbed, then handed to the other to be dried, then dressed and set off to bed. It was quite a masterful operation we had, and we still hold gracious memories of those days. Later, when they were older we would trust them to bathe themselves and now in holding adult conversations with them we have discovered some truths about how "thoroughly" they "washed." The older ones would show the younger ones how to make it seem like they had bathed. Thankfully, they've come full circle. Paul is thankful for the "Christians cleaned up by Jesus and set apart for a God-filled life." What a wonderful description of that which has happened to us when we surrendered our lives to God and let God deal with our sinfulness and our past. God took us, cleaned us up in and through Jesus and set us to live in a way that should be different from others, in a "God-filled life." He continues in sharing how in this new life we have everything we could possibly want. Let it not be as someone posted in Facebook, tongue-in-cheek, "Dear God, My prayer for 2011 is that I want a fat bank account and a thin body, and don't mix it up like you did last year!" (Attributed to Rev. Dr. Leonard Sweet). We have blessings that matter more than money and body - in the spiritual bank, we are rich beyond our wildest dreams!

As you journey on in these new days of the New Year, trust more in the things of God to make a difference in the lives of others. May we come to realize that the things that matter more are the things we already have, thanks to the love of God.

PRAYER: Loving God, I thank You for all that I have. I am rich beyond my wildest dreams in the things that matter more. Help me to live that way. Help me to make a difference and impact in others. And when I do stray and wander away, wash me again in Jesus and set me right and apart. I ask this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde