Monday, March 21, 2011

GOD'S NAME IS SACRED!

God of incredible, unexpected blessings, pour out Your presence and blessing on the life of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our conversation and study of The Lord's Prayer continues: "Hallowed by Thy name." (Matthew 6:9) KJV.

I've shared before about how important it is to know someone's name before you call on them, especially if you're in the sales field. This is one thing that was drilled into us when I worked for the marketing arm of Ma Bell so many years ago. Once you have a number and a name to go with that number, especially the name of the one who makes purchasing decisions, you've got half the work done. To know the name of God works the same way. Moses understood this, especially after God sends him to go call on Pharoah. "Whom shall I say is sending me?" or "What is your name?" Here's how that encounter reads in The Bible:

13 But Moses said to God, "If I come to the Israelites and say to them, "The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,' and they ask me, "What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" 14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am." He said further, "Thus you shall say to the Israelites, "I am has sent me to you.' "

God's name is sacred. Jesus knew this too. The Jews still will not say the name of God and even in English will write G-d to keep the sacredness of that name. We know that "I am" is "YHWH" with vowels, "Yahweh," but some use a less secular, respectful name of "Jehovah." To pray with God, we acknowledge what we were taught, God's name is holy. "Hallowed" is a name we don't use much in everyday life. We hear about it when describing a famous university or college as in "these halls are hallowed." But to pray it and mean it is to show that we humble ourselves in knowing that as we pray we are connected to the most holy of holies, whose name matters but not as much as the knowledge of the love behind that name. It pains me to hear God's name in vain or in the increasingly more common curse word, as an adjective in a sentence where it should not even be placed. It is disrespectful and profane. We are trying to bring the holiness of God into the muck and mire in which we find ourselves to even consider using God's name. "Keep it real" we hear it said, no, "Keep it holy."

God is with you even in times and troubles and places where you don't want to find yourself; remember the prayer of Jesus - enter into the holiness of God as you pray it and receive the blessing that comes from this powerful prayer.

PRAYER: Lord God, forgive me for those times that I have joined in thinking or saying things that were not meant to be said and for sometimes using Your name in vain. I honor You and our relationship as I pray the prayer, "Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power and the glory, forever and ever." Amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde