Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Who Is Your King?

God of all time, help this dear reader keep Your pace in their life; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our conversation about The Lord's Prayer continues with "For Thine is the kingdom..." (Matthew 6:13 KJV).

An interesting point about this part of the prayer, most modern versions do not contain the traditional closings. Some years ago, scholars determined that this part was added by some zealous believers meaning that this part of the prayer was not what Jesus said. It was not too long ago that another group of scholars got together and determined that of the whole prayer, that probably Jesus may have said, "Our Father," and nothing else. The prayer, it is believed ended with yesterday's phrase, "but deliever us from evil." That would make for an abrupt ending to a beautiful prayer and song. During the days I have been meditating and writing about Jesus' prayer I have been hearing both on my computer and in my head, different versions of that beautiful song based completely on the prayer. This ending, I believe, is what gives it a musical highpoint. Listen to Il Divo's version of it online either through YouTube or on playlist dot com. You'll see what I mean. So then, what does this part of the prayer say to you? To me it says we acknowledge that there is indeed a kingdom of God and it is here already. To end the prayer with this ending means to say to God, You're the One in charge, all that I have prayed up to now is a worship of You and a trust that I have in You. I humble myself before You and make myself a royal subject of Your Kingdom. You are my King and I will serve You.

If nothing else this attitude of submission and subservience to God is what is needed in our lives. We seek so much for ourselves and see it in others, but this says in a right spirit, it is all about You, loving God, not me. May it be so in our lives that we put things into perspective about who we are and Whose we are.

PRAYER: Loving God, I know that Yours is indeed the Kingdom and I pray that I might truly be a part of it today and all days. May I seek to serve You with the right spirit in my heart and mind. Let me seek to bring others to know and love You. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde