Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Afraid of the Dark?

Loving God, bless and protect the life and needs of this dear reader; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from 2 Corinthians 4: 3 If our Message is obscure to anyone, it's not because we're holding back in any way. No, it's because these other people are looking or going the wrong way and refuse to give it serious attention. 4 All they have eyes for is the fashionable god of darkness. They think he can give them what they want, and that they won't have to bother believing a Truth they can't see. They're stone-blind to the dayspring brightness of the Message that shines with Christ, who gives us the best picture of God we'll ever get. 5 Remember, our Message is not about ourselves; we're proclaiming Jesus Christ, the Master. All we are is messengers, errand runners from Jesus for you. 6 It started when God said, "Light up the darkness!" and our lives filled up with light as we saw and understood God in the face of Christ, all bright and beautiful. (The Message)

Are you afraid of the dark? I'm not a big fan. Growing up I enjoyed playing outside in the sunlight and hated when it was getting dark and no matter what part of the neighborhood I was in, I could hear my Mom calling me to come home. I knew night was coming and soon I would have to be in bed. I am a big fan of light. I dislike dimly lit rooms and prefer a room with bright light. In our spiritual life God has offered us the Light of the World, Jesus Christ. And while not everyone is running to hear and accept the Good News, those of us who have know it to be just what God wanted; God loves us, desires to have a relationship with us, and through Jesus Christ we can enter into that relationship. Yet, the world offers another path. There are more glamorous and attractive ways to live or so we believe, but when it's all said and done and we see it for what it is, the only true way for me to live is in the light of the world.

This week is a week of our hearing about Jesus Christ as He who is God's Son and the long awaited Messiah. The emphasis has been on what God wants for us and in God's declaration about Jesus through the text we studied yesterday on the Transfiguration. Today it is on our knowing and accepting Jesus for Who He can be in our lives as well. If you want to get out of the darkness of life, come to Jesus! Ask Him to enter your heart as Lord and Savior and He will. Jesus is Who God said He is.

PRAYER: Loving God of light, thank You for Jesus. May today be a day when I can share the light of Jesus with others, and if I have to, I'll share it with words. I pray this in Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde