Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Becoming a Mentor to Others

Amazing God of provision and supply, pour down from the heavens that which this dear reader needs; in Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Our text for today comes from 2 Kings 2: 1 Just before God took Elijah to heaven in a whirlwind, Elijah and Elisha were on a walk out of Gilgal. 2 Elijah said to Elisha, "Stay here. God has sent me on an errand to Bethel." Elisha said, "Not on your life! I'm not letting you out of my sight!" So they both went to Bethel. 3 The guild of prophets at Bethel met Elisha and said, "Did you know that God is going to take your master away from you today?" "Yes," he said, "I know it. But keep it quiet." 4 Then Elijah said to Elisha, "Stay here. God has sent me on an errand to Jericho." Elisha said, "Not on your life! I'm not letting you out of my sight!" So they both went to Jericho. 5 The guild of prophets at Jericho came to Elisha and said, "Did you know that God is going to take your master away from you today?" "Yes," he said, "I know it. But keep it quiet." 6 Then Elijah said to Elisha, "Stay here. God has sent me on an errand to the Jordan." Elisha said, "Not on your life! I'm not letting you out of my sight!" And so the two of them went their way together. 7 Meanwhile, fifty men from the guild of prophets gathered some distance away while the two of them stood at the Jordan. 8 Elijah took his cloak, rolled it up, and hit the water with it. The river divided and the two men walked through on dry land. 9 When they reached the other side, Elijah said to Elisha, "What can I do for you before I'm taken from you? Ask anything." Elisha said, "Your life repeated in my life. I want to be a holy man just like you." 10 "That's a hard one!" said Elijah. "But if you're watching when I'm taken from you, you'll get what you've asked for. But only if you're watching." 11 And so it happened. They were walking along and talking. Suddenly a chariot and horses of fire came between them and Elijah went up in a whirlwind to heaven. 12 Elisha saw it all and shouted, "My father, my father! You - the chariot and cavalry of Israel!" When he could no longer see anything, he grabbed his robe and ripped it to pieces. (The Message)

I believe everyone has had a mentor in their life. One who was older, wiser, experienced in the craft and skill of one's calling or career. We looked up to them, treasured their advice and counsel, and hoped that we could be at least half as good as they. This was and is true in ministry for those who seek to serve the Lord in the professional ministry. In our tradition we assign mentors and these do their jobs, but the kind of mentor I'm mentioning are the ones we select and we know to be the ones from whom we can learn. So it was with Elisha. He had been called and set apart by God to be a prophet and he came to know Elijah as his mentor. He saw what the power of God could do in one's life if one knew to seek and obey God and so he tried to copy Elijah. He learned much and was blessed much. Then the day came when he knew that his mentor was being called home to Heaven. In a comical way, he is reminded of this by several "guilds of prophets" along the way. Each tried to distract him as did Elijah to keep him from feeling the pain of separation, for it was obvious to all how much Elisha loved and admired and would miss his mentor. Even at this point of separation Elisha desired to learn and when given the opportunity to respond as to what he wanted, Elisha said, "I want a double portion of your spirit" (from other versions) or "Your life lrepeated in mine." And so it was that at this point some would call death, Elisha witnessed a bibical miracle, a man being taken up to heaven without dying, and to receive a double portion of Elijah's spirit.

Who was your mentor? What did you learn? What did you ask of this mentor and what have you done with it? Who has blessed you in your spiritual life and what are you doing to become the mentor of somene else?

PRAYER: Loving God, may I not hide my talents and blessings from others. May I be faithful to You in living a life that gives witness to others about Your power and presence in mine. May I and others who are praying this prayer as their own, become mentors of life and light to many. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious and powerful name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde