Monday, December 03, 2012

A Defeated Enemy!

1 Peter 5:6 So be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; he'll promote you at the right time. 7 Live carefree before God; he is most careful with you. 8 Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. 9 Keep your guard up. You're not the only ones plunged into these hard times. It's the same with Christians all over the world. So keep a firm grip on the faith. (The Message)

1 Peter 5: 6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, so that he may exalt you in due time. 7 Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you. 8 Discipline yourselves, keep alert. Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in your faith, for you know that your brothers and sisters in all the world are undergoing the same kinds of suffering. (New Revised Standard Version)

We don't like to think in terms of having any enemies. Most of us want to be liked by everyone, and most of us succeed. Yet, some of us find out early, we don't have to say anything or do anything, and there will be those who do not like us. I found this out earlier than I may have wanted, but it was to be a fact of life. In about eight or ninth grade, in my P.E. class, as we were dressing to return to classes, I was taking off my shirt and a guy came by and punched me hard in my stomach. In what I can only explain as a natural reaction, three quick punches to his stomach landed him on the floor with no desire to fight any longer. As a senior in high school, in my after school job as a worker in a drive-in theatre (kids, ask your parents what those were), a co-worker was smarting off to me, and I was ignoring him. He swung at me, I moved back and while his body was in motion with that swing, I grabbed him by the shirt and belt and threw him over some hedges. He landed with no desire to fight.

Now our enemies are worries, anxieties, and fears about what may be or what really is. Our worst enemy may even be ourselves in the perception we have about who we are or who we need to be. Peter, inspired by God, says, "Be content with who you are, and don't put on airs. God's strong hand is on you; He'll promote you at the right time." (I have to add that this morning because I am more versed in the New Revised Standard of the Bible, I included that version as well above). I love that we can, according to verse 7, "Cast all (our) anxiety on Him, because He cares for (us)." That takes care of the perceived enemies we face daily, if we trust God. Yet, as believers, we know that the Bible speaks of a spiritual enemy of God, by the name of Satan or the devil. As a child I remember my Mom telling us, "El diablo nunca duerme; the devil never sleeps." Peter knows this from his experience and says as believers we should discipline ourselves, staying alert, "Like a roaring lion your adversary the devil prowls around, looking for someone to devour." Our task is to resist, staying strong in our faith, even in the face of persecution and suffering; for in the end it will be God who will be victorious.

What control does your enemy have on you today? Are you resisting or giving in? The devil gives despair; God gives grace. Which would serve you better today?

PRAYER: Loving God of power and might, bless my life with Your grace. Give me hope and victory over despair and worry. Even if I am facing much, I can trust in You in what You offer to me. I cast to You my anxieties, and know that in You I have found and can always find that which blesses my life. I pray in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde