Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Focus of God's Delight!

2 Peter 1: 16 We weren't, you know, just wishing on a star when we laid the facts out before you regarding the powerful return of our Master, Jesus Christ. We were there for the preview! We saw it with our own eyes: 17 Jesus resplendent with light from God the Father as the voice of Majestic Glory spoke: "This is my Son, marked by my love, focus of all my delight." 18 We were there on the holy mountain with him. We heard the voice out of heaven with our very own ears. 19 We couldn't be more sure of what we saw and heard - God's glory, God's voice. The prophetic Word was confirmed to us. You'll do well to keep focusing on it. It's the one light you have in a dark time as you wait for daybreak and the rising of the Morning Star in your hearts. 20 The main thing to keep in mind here is that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of private opinion. 21 And why? Because it's not something concocted in the human heart. Prophecy resulted when the Holy Spirit prompted men and women to speak God's Word. (The Message)

The testimony of an eyewitness says, "We were there. We saw it." Peter, an Apostle of Jesus, says, "We were there. What we have shared is true. This is not, as another version says, a "cleverly devised myth" shared with you, this is the Good News. In fact, we were even there when we saw with our own eyes and heard with our own ears when God spoke and said, "This is my Son, marked by my love, focus of all my delight." This was but a preview of that which is to come, namely Jesus Himself, whom we proclaim will come again. All the scriptures pointed to this and were fulfilled in Jesus. Stay focused on believing and sharing.

When I first read this passage and decided that delight would be the main focus of this passage, I looked for an image on the internet that would be under "delight" in a Google images search. I found a fancy lettering of the word, tons of sweets, cakes, pies, cereal, some drinks. And nothing jumped out at me as truly being a delight. I asked myself, what brings me delight? No question, my children and grandchildren. I put the above picture together as that which says delight. If I get such a thrill out of being with my little ones, then God's got me beat with the delight that Jesus gave/gives God! Jesus has brought me delight in knowing that in Him I can and do find forgiveness. In Him I can and do find hope. Jesus give me delight in knowing that as I journey towards the unknown challenges of the day (a dental appointment today at 8:30), Jesus journeys with me. Jesus has perfect teeth. I'm the one whose hand Jesus will hold! (LOL). In Jesus I find the promises of a life that will never end. And that bring me delight. And that is the message you and I are called to share with those who have not yet heard. We are eyewitnesses of what God can do and God can do it again for them.

Be the delight in God's eyes today by bringing delight to someone else in sharing this story.

PRAYER: Loving God, bless us in what we need to do. Lead us, guide us, give us courage, wisdom, and boldness to share of Your love in a way that bring delight to You. Let us be delight to others we pray, in Jesus' name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde