Monday, December 10, 2012

Stay Alert!

2 Peter 1: 12 Because the stakes are so high, even though you're up-to-date on all this truth and practice it inside and out, I'm not going to let up for a minute in calling you to attention before it. 13 This is the post to which I've been assigned - keeping you alert with frequent reminders - and I'm sticking to it as long as I live. 14 I know that I'm to die soon; the Master has made that quite clear to me. 15 And so I am especially eager that you have all this down in black and white so that after I die, you'll have it for ready reference. (The Message)

The stakes are high. How often have you thought or said that about your faith? I presided over three charge conferences yesterday, all two-plus hours from home. At two I heard hints of "if things don't get better (financially) we might have to close..." I shared with them that in our district there are six (6) possible retirements, and out of 39 charge conferences, only one new candidate for ministry. The stakes are high. Higher still, are the personal stakes of not sharing as we should. Peter took it upon himself to write these words and to urge believers to stay strong and focused on the message of Good News from Jesus Christ. He knew that was his duty and he could say he stayed faithful and would be faithful until his death. And he adds, he knew that his death was coming soon, as the Lord Jesus Christ had made it clear to him. For him to share and encourage was especially urgent.

How is it with your soul? I pray that after time with God each day you can say, "It is well with my soul! I have hope and joy and peace, and I look forward to the day and whatever challenges and opportunities it might bring!" A contagious faith is what we need to share with those who do not know yet about Jesus. A recent study by another denomination shared a startling fact: A lot of people are waiting for someone to invite them to church and into faith. I don't know the reason why if you're hungry you don't find your way to a place that serves food, but some just need that special nudge or invite that may save their lives. If it's well with you soul, tell somebody! Don't wait or blame your pastor for declining numbers! As a baptized believer in Christ Jesus you are a co-pastor in the work of sharing the Good News.

What are you waiting for?

PRAYER: Loving God, let this day be a day when I can share with all that it is well with my soul. May I do so in a way that gets others interested or excited about God's love and the relationship that awaits them as they surrender their lives to God. I pray this in Christ Jesus' precious name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!

Eradio Valverde