Thursday, February 14, 2019

"Deeply Rooted and Thriving!"

Image from fromhispresence.com

Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers; but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law they meditate day and night. They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgement, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; for the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish. (Psalm 1)

Happy Valentine's Day to you, blessed Friend!  I pray the joys of the Lord's love reside and thrive in you as you share God's love with all those around you today!  

If the question were to be asked of you today, "How is it with your soul?"  You should respond, "Deeply rooted, and thriving, thanks to God!"  I know John Wesley would love that answer and he would know exactly what passages you read this week.  Pray for me, as this week's lections have made me want to preach on each one, and I know the first time this old Methodist preaches at First Presbyterian shouldn't be a time to have them walk out on me!  

It is my belief that every child in Israel during their history, quite possibly until the end of the time of Malachi learned several key passages from their scriptures, and this may well have been key among them all.  Yes, the Shema from Deuteronomy 6 is the most important, as is the question Jesus answered about the greatest commandment, but to hear your mother and/or father tell you daily in a loving voice, "Happy are those who do not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path that sinners tread, or sit in the seat of scoffers; but their delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law they meditate day and night.  They are like tress planted by streams of water..."  If you had heard this most every day of your life, you would either love it or hate it.  My guess is that you would come to love it especially when your mother and father were gone.   The psalm they shared would become the model for your daily life; I will seek the advice of the wise, I will avoid the path of sinners, I will not sit in the seat of those who mock God and all things holy; I will seek to delight in the law of the Lord, this will be my meditation both day and night.  I want to be that tree planted by the streams of water!"  

When Jesus in this week's gospel lesson from Luke shared His "Bless are those..."  He was remembering Mary and Joseph's voice as they shared their thoughts on this psalm.  Jesus made it come to life as they had; not only word from God's law, but words of life and hope, peace and certainty.  Jesus speaks of the true prosperity, which are the blessings from God for one's heart and soul - riches that can never be taken away.  One who seeks to live deeply rooted and thriving is the one who knows the voice of God as he or she has heard it during their daily readings in the word of God.

PRAYER:  Loving Father, I and this dear reader seek to live a life that gives us away as being deeply rooted and thriving; for we seek to prosper in You.  Make real Your love in me today that I may bring a blessing to all who see me and talk with me.  I seek to be truly Thine.  In Christ Jesus I pray, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Be a true *Valentine to those you love, but especially to those who may not care for you...!

Eradio Valverde

*One account of Saint Valentine can be found here:http:// http://www1.cbn.com/st-valentine-real-story