Monday, February 18, 2019

Respond with the Energies of Prayer!

Image from redeeminggod.com

 "To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst.  When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer for that person.  If someone slaps you in the face, stand there and take it. If someone grabs your shirt, gift wrap your best coat and make a present of it.  If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously.  "Here is a simple rule of thumb for behavior: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them!  If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that.  If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that's charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that.  "I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never - I promise - regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst.  Our Father is kind; you be kind.  "Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults - unless, of course, you want the same treatment. Don't condemn those who are down; that hardness can boomerang. Be easy on people; you'll find life a lot easier. Give away your life; you'll find life given back, but not merely given back - given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity."  (Luke 6: 27-38 The Message)

A very happy and blessed Monday to you, dear friend!  I pray this finds you well, rested and ready for the day and this coming week.  I thank you for your prayers; worship and sermon went well at First Presbyterian Church here in Seguin.  Nellie, our daughter Saraí, husband Eric, and our granddaughter Saraí Evangelina, and I, were received in a loving way.  As we pray I ask prayers for the family of Kyle Felix, a senior at Bowie High School in Austin who died yesterday from cancer.  A very promising young man, who loved to pop into the office of our daughter Carli, and say, "Here I am Miss V your favorite student!"  Prayers for all the teachers and staff from Bowie who are mourning this loss.  May God's comfort be with all who mourn today.  Pray for one another; pray for yourselves.  

Today's passage is the continuation of Luke's version of the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus bears His heart on the things that matter to God and God's Kingdom.  Some have called this an invitation to upside down living, for the things Jesus said are important to God, the world does not understand nor accept or expect.  The starter in today's passage, "Love your enemies."  What?  I hate those who hate me! screams the world.  God says the opposite.  I love the way this version says, instead of them bringing out the expected worst in you, "Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst."  Wow!  And who here hasn't had someone give you a hard time ?  Jesus says, "respond with the energies of prayer for that person."  I had never thought of it that way, to be honest, but you can see what Jesus means.  Let prayer be a positive force in your life as the words escape your lips or your mind.  The old adage of "I used to pray that God change that person; now I pray that God change me" rings in this.  Prayer is a force, but does more good when we allow prayer to work in us first.  

The sermon continues; don't be so possessive of your things!  Share as the need arises, and if you are asked for a coat, give them more!  "Gift wrap your best coat..."  Such should be our attitude.  Live a servant life, with humility and peace; and while we're at it, we should I've a generous life.  I love this: "Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them!"  I will always remember and treasure the morning of my ordination as an Elder in the United Methodist Church.  We were in a hotel room in Albuquerque, NM, and I was shaving.  Our only baby, Nellie Maria, was in a walker and was watching me and as I rinsed my face, she rapidly maneuvered her walker to grab a towel and to bring it to me.  I still get tears thinking of that and an earlier moment when I was kneeling in prayer by my bed and she awoke and saw where I was and she crawled slowly to my face and made a little noise she used to make of joy.  She's always been one step ahead of our needs and now her own family's needs.  Jesus said for us to be aware of other's needs and respond with love.  Jesus also says to love the unloveable and to rise above what this version calls "run-of-the-mill sinners" who do that too.  If we only help those who help us, we're just like the "garden variety sinners" who also do that.  Servant life people do the unexpected and rise higher than others think possible or necessary.  "Live out this God-given identity the way our Father lives towards us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst."  Just as God is kind, we should be kind.  Don't pick on people, don't be a bully, don't condemn, especially those who are down; be easy on people, and life will become a lot easier for us."

"Give away your life" and we'll find that life is given back to us, with a bonus and a blessing!

PRAYER:  Awesome God, mark me among those who want to be identified as a God-person because of my actions and attitudes.  I want to soar above the crowd in being and doing good. Grant me a generous heart and let life be a joy.  And Father, You who know our hurts and pains, be with the Felix and Bowie HS families.  We pray that Kyle is in Your loving embrace now, and that those who knew him and mourn him find in You the comfort only You can provide.  We thank You for his life and pray that his memory continue to bless those who knew him.  Bless this dear reader in all that he or she is facing; be glorified in them, and this we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Live a generous life; giving your life and love away to all people.  No exceptions!

Eradio Valverde