Wednesday, February 13, 2019

On Muscle Alone?  Hardly!

Image from whomshallisend.com

God's Message: "Cursed is the strong one who depends on mere humans, Who thinks he can make it on muscle alone and sets God aside as dead weight.  He's like a tumbleweed on the prairie, out of touch with the good earth. He lives rootless and aimless in a land where nothing grows.  "But blessed is the man who trusts me, God, the woman who sticks with God.  They're like trees replanted in Eden, putting down roots near the rivers - Never a worry through the hottest of summers, never dropping a leaf, Serene and calm through droughts, bearing fresh fruit every season.  "The heart is hopelessly dark and deceitful, a puzzle that no one can figure out.  But I, God, search the heart and examine the mind. I get to the heart of the human. I get to the root of things. I treat them as they really are, not as they pretend to be." (Jeremiah 17: 5-10 The Message)

Here it is, the day camels like!  (think about it); may this indeed be a Wonderful Wednesday for you, dear Friend!  I pray that this time with God's word, a devotional, and genuine prayer will bless you to be a blessing for God and all of God's people.

I pity people who think they don't need God.  I pray for them too.  I pray that I might in some way bring the saving knowledge of Jesus be theirs as well.  Yet, as you read this devotional there are those who are at the gym, or in their home gym, or on the road, building up their muscles.  And while there is nothing wrong with that, re-read the prophet's first sentence again:  "Cursed is the strong one who depends on mere humans, Who thinks he can make it on muscle alone and sets God aside as dead weight."  Ouch.  The prophet knew God and he knew what it was like to walk with Him and to trust Him.  He knew what it was to be connected to God deeply; and he knew that mere muscle is nothing; the years will, if one is not careful, turn that muscle into flab.  And Jeremiah also believed that the muscle man truly is a tumbleweed on the prairie, no longer rooted, but blown about by the wind; rootless and aimless in a land where nothing grows.  Double ouch.  Lord, bless those who live like this, and use us to help reach them!

Now, the next part of this passage is the powerful and beautiful part.  It's one that I loved to teach and each time came to know it better and better during Wednesday night church.  Remember those days when schools almost shut down so that Wednesday might be a day set aside for God.  Well, school was still in session and no homework, nor band practice, nor football or sports practice was allowed, and kids were urged to go to church with mom and dad.  We had a midweek service that was more a Bible study with hymns.  And this is the verse that spoke of what we were becoming because of an evening dedicated to God:  trusting, rooted people in God much like a thriving tree whose roots were near a river.  Never thirsty, never barren, "Never a worry through the hottest of summers, never dropping a leaf, serene and calm through droughts, bearing fresh fruit every season."  What a difference between the two types of people!

Daily we have a choice.  Will I connect and stay connected with God?  Or, will I seek to be my own person, make my own way, and let God become a dead weight in my life?  Honestly, it's never quite that clear.  Subtle decisions, which we believe minor, lure us slowly away, all the while unaware there's a better choice to be made.  And before too long, Wednesdays are better spent at home, or at the club, or at work, in front of the tv, etc., etc.  Seek, dear friends, to be rooted, deeply connected with God!

PRAYER:  Heavenly Father, help make my roots in You deeper than ever.  I seek to live a life that glorifies You in all that I think, say, and do.  Help me be Your person, thriving, strong, and fruitful.  This I pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord!  Show others that you're connected with God, and God alone!

Eradio Valverde