Thursday, May 02, 2019

I'm God's Favorite!

Image from portia.com

I give you all the credit, God - you got me out of that mess, you didn't let my foes gloat. God, my God, I yelled for help and you put me together. God, you pulled me out of the grave, gave me another chance at life when I was down-and-out. All you saints! Sing your hearts out to God! Thank him to his face! He gets angry once in a while, but across a lifetime there is only love. The nights of crying your eyes out give way to days of laughter. When things were going great I crowed, "I've got it made. I'm God's favorite. He made me king of the mountain." Then you looked the other way and I fell to pieces. I called out to you, God; I laid my case before you: "Can you sell me for a profit when I'm dead? auction me off at a cemetery yard sale? When I'm 'dust to dust' my songs and stories of you won't sell. So listen! and be kind! Help me out of this!" You did it: you changed wild lament into whirling dance; You ripped off my black mourning band and decked me with wildflowers. I'm about to burst with song; I can't keep quiet about you. God, my God, I can't thank you enough. (Psalm 30 The Message)

"It's not easy being your favorite, but it's worth it." This was an actual post on Facebook from a son to his mother; a mother of many children. Whose favorite are you, dear Friend? I offer to you what David shared In this awesome psalm, you are God's favorite. What a thing to know what a way to live! I was always my mother's favorite, as were my two brothers and two sisters. I believe the same of my father. And I strongly, without doubt believe that I am God's favorite, too. I am my dog's favorite, and the cat who owns my house sometimes purrs for me, but I never will believe she has favorites other than her mommy, our daughter Carli.

David lived a life as he wrote in this psalm. David knew where true credit is merited, and that is squarely in God. It is God who got David, and me, and all of you, out of messes. Our foes have not gloated. God has always been there for us when we called out for help. And when we needed putting-back-together, it was God who did it. Out of the grave and back on the dance floor; that's God. Our being able to take a breath right now; that's God. And as David did, he urges all who believe, to do the same thing: "Sing your hearts out to God! Thank Him to His face!" God deserves it! Even if you sing off-key, next Sunday or earlier, make a joyful noise of gratitude and praise to God.

As David does, perhaps you too remember some nights of solid crying because of life's challenges. Those nights cannot outnumber the nights I have laughed and been joyful. And when things were going great we could as easily as David, said, "I've got it made. I'm God's favorite. He made me king of the mountain." However long or short those moments or experiences lasted, it was exhilarating. Without God, as the next sentence says, we can fall to pieces. Life is pretty nicely summed up by this ancient poet/singer/composer/king of Israel. In the good and the bad, we are present with God. We will never be, as this version says, "(auctioned) off at a cemetery yard sale." (Which is a most interesting image, is it not?)

So, dear one, choose to sing praises of victory to God. The black mourning bands have no room on our arms as we choose instead bluebonnets and paint brushes for our decor. We are the Easter People, the people of life, a life with NO end.

PRAYER: Loving and Awesome God, thank You for this encouraging word. As we face the challenges of life, help us to have the mindset of David; we are your favorites. And as life brings those times when we are not in the best of circumstances, still we are not alone, You are with us. Accept our prayer and praise, for we pray in Your Son's holy name, Jesus our Lord, amen.

Have a great.and blessed day in the Lord. Sing a song of praise today. Bless someone with your joyful noise!

Blessings of love,

Eradio Valverde