Monday, May 06, 2019

Who Do You Keep us Guessing?

Image from whydowehavetodothissir.blogspot.com

At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly."Jesus answered, "I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one." (John 10:22-30)

There are some things one knows for sure without having to ask. Perhaps you can relate to those, dear Friend. I think back to the first phone conversation I had with Nellie. In that conversation we covered so many topics and ideas that by the time I hung up, which I didn't want to do, I knew she was the one. Earlier in my life, even at a very young age, I knew Jesus to be my Lord and Savior.

Now, to be fair to the Jews in today's passage, they did not know for sure as to Who Jesus really was because they discussed so much about Who the Messiah would be, what He would do, and in all of those conversations the skeptics had had a loud voice. In fact, public opinion had already weighed in on Jesus, and most said, this is not the Messiah. Yet, the signs, wonders, and the words that Jesus spoke, all pointed to the truth that He was indeed-God connected, and it made them wonder all the more.. At the time of the celebration of "Festival of the Dedication" (which is Hanukah for us in today's terms), Jesus is walking through the Temple, and is approached by some Jews who asked, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly." Interestingly enough, there are still plenty of those types of people still with us. We must know for sure, they declare to God. And yes, there are times we want to know something for sure. The challenge of what does tomorrow hold keeps many a person up at night wondering. We toss and turn, we even dream things that might be; but the saying is true and simple. We don't know what tomorrow holds, but we know Who holds tomorrow. That may work for many of us, but for others, they want more. Notice Jesus' answer: "I have told you, and you do not believe, The words that I do in my Father's name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one."

Ouch. Here's a Biblical truth. Not everyone belongs to the flock of Jesus. But hear this: It is not because God has excluded anyone out of that flock; these have chosen not to believe and by that decision, have chosen not to belong to the flock. Many automatically label this as a God-action, and it is not. It is a self-decision action. If we belong to Jesus, we know His voice. Jesus has shared His love and words with all people, and all were invited to accept and enter into that relationship He desires with all people. And even today, some will accept, some will not. But hear the wonderful promises: Those who belong receive eternal life. Remember those who wanted to know how to "inherit" it, and here is Jesus offering it for the grand price of belief. Jesus promises a "no-perish" life, and a guarantee that our enemy will never snatch us from His hand. I. Love. That.

Dear one, hear this: God loves you! God loved you so much that He sent His only begotten Son for you. To give you life. A life that will never end. Yes, challenges will still come even if we are in relationship with God, but we face them differently because God is on our side, and God will see us through all things. As I write this, I ask for prayers for my neighbor. He is going to have open heart surgery on the 15th and he is very scared. He has a faith of sorts, but is relying on music and past thoughts for help; I have been trying to be at his side in sharing Jesus, and I plan to be at the hospital on that morning to lift him up in prayer. Please join me now in offering the comfort that only comes from the Lord.

PRAYER: Loving Father, as we pray, we ask for faith. We need that faith that speaks over fear and doubt, and the distractions that may come from well-meaning people. We praise You and thank You for the promise of eternal life and the surety of being Yours always. Whatever may come our way, we rest in Jesus' words that no one or nothing can snatch us from Your loving hand. Thank You, loving Father; we pray in Christ Jesus' strong name, amen.

Have a great and blessed day in the Lord! Be of the flock and seek to bring others into it!

Loving blessings,

Eradio Valverde